Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Default Headers to use

I’m having a Motor built a 455 .30 over. We are shooting for 500hp with what we are using. I know it’s not a huge motor but that’s what it will be. Using 6x number 4’s. The heads are port matched to a performer intake. A Holley double pumper 800 cfms. My question is I have a set of after market super duty aluminum exhaust manifolds or I have a set of Hooker super comp tube headers to use. Would you see an advantage of one or the other is far as performance ?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2019, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dougs headers. Sell what you have and get Dougs

Old 10-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think most here will agree that the Performer intake will be the choke point. It's been posted here many times that even the factory Q-jet intakes are better.

Just wondering how many are making 500hp with a Performer ?

Or, maybe the Performer intake is underrated ?

Old 10-24-2019, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, port matched or no a basic Performer will hurt you. If its an RPM that's a different story.

I don't think there is any question you will gain some power with long tubes. If its enough to want to deal with the PITA that headers are vs the long branch manifolds is a different story. Some cam profiles are more sensitive to headers than others. Here is a pretty good article with some dyno numbers

http://www.sdperformance.com/moreTech.php?newsID=39

Also FWIW when I was doing the same research you are, most reported that the hookers had ground clearance issues vs Doug's. The only reason I didn't use manifolds is that RARE's 67-69 long branch mold is broken. They have been a month from fixing it for about 6 years now.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-24-2019, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the hookers will have more power vs any manifolds... but aluminum manifolds are super cool & worth a lot of money!

i agree the intake will be a major choke point on a 500hp goal 455. did you mean performer RPM? if you dont have hood clearance issues i would go with an RPM. the factory iron or aluminum RA & HO intakes would be better than a performer & SD performance can port the factory intakes to be as good as a stock RPM, i run one on a 500+ hp 467 & its good to low 11's at 121+mph.

& a note on headers, hooker super comps will hang lower than others but not too bad if the car isnt lowered a bunch. they are a tuned header & may have benefits over non tuned headers & if you already own them i would use them.

& after having headers on 3 cars, there is no "PITA" i have experienced... if you install them the right way & get good small headed header bolts & decent gaskets they install & function perfectly fine. i have a set of hedmans on a 78 t/a with 6x heads in use for 11 years now with the stock paper gaskets & zero leaks. also have the big 2" tube round port hooker super comps on a 72 firebird with aluminum heads & the stock hooker gaskets & they are doing great after 6+ years. after a few heat cycles, retorque the bolts then check again each season & they should last a long long time.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

455 Pontiac / pump gas
Non ported Edelbrock heads
230 degree HFT cam
Hooker Super Competition round-port headers

Dyno tested. In short.....

The torque curve already on the downslope–the engine was still making 579.4 lb-ft with an Edelbrock Performer dual-plane intake and Speed Demon 750-cfm carb. In terms of max power, that intake and carb developed 467.7 hp at 5,200 rpm.

The taller Pontiac Performer RPM dual-plane, which we found was worth 5.8 lb-ft of torque and 23.7 hp at the peaks, where it developed 585.2 lb-ft and 491.4 hp, respectively. Overall numbers were also improved throughout the test range.

Westech pulled out a Wilson Manifolds 1-inch open spacer and power jumped all the way to 501.3 hp, at the expense of a slight loss of power and torque below 4,100 rpm.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-25-2019, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To be clear, I have headers so Im not a hater here, but the pain with headers isn't if they work. Its if you have to take them off and the pain of fitting them in. Lots of people have to purpose dent them to clear certain items, you often have to lift the motor to install them. I had to remove one of mine to change my steering box. They hang down and get in my way working under the car sometimes. Makes the flooboard hotter. Also you really should buy coated ones which drives price up. I cheaped out there and regret it.

If you do use headers, Remflex gaskets are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports