Old 11-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Default paint colors

A couple of questions. I have a 67 Hardtop with Parchment interior. What color should the top of doors and top of side panels be? Also the backs of the front buckets? Another question is what paint to use on the gauge circles , front of circles and side of dash- looks like silver. and what paint to use for sides of gauges- looks like blue-grey color. Thanks for any help

Old 11-26-2019, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cameo Ivory for GM, or Wimbleton White, which is a Ford color. Both are a warm white. The white will be lighter and brighter than the parchment of the seats. Not at all a color match. Not supposed to be. Also, the A-pillars should be Cameo as well.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

I used Krylon Satin Almond on my door tops and seat backs. I had my dash re-chromed then painted the gauge pods gray/charcoal metallic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02BFF157-8FF2-4F83-9880-51D5A694694C.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	525478  

Old 11-27-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
I used Krylon Satin Almond on my door tops and seat backs. I had my dash re-chromed then painted the gauge pods gray/charcoal metallic.

Looks sharp.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

To correct my typo I used blue/charcoal metallic paint.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dash Bezel tunnel color

Here is an original '67 GTO dash bezel. This came out of a car that had a black interior. This bezel has faded chrome. The tunnel color is not the same as prior model years (those tunnels) Pontiac A body series cars were painted flat black.

The 4 raised circles, when this was brand new the top edges were bright chrome. Just like a new bumper. Also, there is an accent band of chrome that runs around the inner oval edge where the wood-grain insert nests and transitions to the black paint on the curved outside rounded edge.

In 1967, A body was the first year of change for the tunnel color. It is a mostly flat color, like a dull jade, greenish grey color. There is no name in the GM color books that I can find for this color.

It would have to be mixed at a paint store using a sample color as their jumping off point.

There are a few modern import car colors that are close to this color but those would need to be altered or tinted. Just FYI most modern car colors mix in basecoat clearcoat or single stage and this color needs to reflect almost no light. It actually has a slightly rough texture to the finish. This was done on purpose at GM. There was a special additive they would add into the paint called "suede" right before spray. This caused the paint to dry with a slightly bumpy texture. This was done so that the surface would not reflect light. It drys to about 2 to 6% gloss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67_GTO_Dash Bezel_Color2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	525606   Click image for larger version

Name:	67_GTO_Dash Bezel_Color3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	525607   Click image for larger version

Name:	67_GTO_Dash Bezel_Color4.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	525608  

Last edited by Peter Serio; 11-28-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling fix.