Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2022, 08:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to nhcd538
Default Advice/help with auto to manual swap 67 GTO

Hello all,

I recently acquired this 67 GTO. It has a 400 in it. The car came from the factory with a manual transmission (I'm not sure which one) but at some point it had a TH-400 swapped in. I would like to remove the auto and put a manual back in. I know a lot of people are doing Tremec swaps right now but I have no interest in that.

All I want to do is put an original style manual back as close to the stock configuration as possible. This will keep costs down, and cost is a concern - this is not a restored car - it's even more on the beater side of being what most would call a "driver".

From what I have gathered so far, a swap back to a Muncie M20-21-22 or Dearborn 3-speed would be fairly straightforward as the linkage mounting tab (I think) is still on the frame and the crossmember and driveshaft can remain the same. What I am hoping someone can help me with is a list of parts and maybe part numbers of the stuff I will need to start gathering to get the swap done such as bellhousing, clutch linkage, shifter and shift linkage, clutch and flywheel, etc.

I'm what most would call a backyard mechanic but I've gotten my hands into some semi-advanced stuff. I swapped a 5-speed into a Ford Crown Victoria and I can handle any kind of maintenance short of rebuilding motors, rear ends and transmissions. I feel more than capable of pulling this off in my garage, I just need some guidance as I am BRAND NEW to Pontiacs and haven't really worked on stuff much older than 70's and 80's vintage.

Thanks for any help. Car is in storage for the long NY winter right now so I plan to use the next 4 months to budget and gather parts and expertise and tear into it around May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30823C07-CAC9-42D7-BA88-6C028BEAF4BC.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	604249