ID:	247445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	247446  

Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default 67 Firebird Restoration

Notime! glad to hear you finished the Firebird, from the photos looks like you did a great job.Havnt made much progress with mine through May June & July due to being extremly busy at work.Things have started to slow down now so Im back on the Fire bird with a vengance.Had hoped to have it finished for this summer but that didnt happen but Im extra determined to have it done for summer 2012.Need a little advice from yourself or anyone that can help me.Do I fit the fender extentions on the fenders before installing inner fenders & fenders or can it be left until afterwards.Im planing on doing this job next week so HELP please.Ill post some more photos towards the end of next week
Dave from England

Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cant really remember now but i think we put fender ext on and fender well then mounted as an assembly. On the other hand we may have put fenderwell on loosely then fender then ext. Maybe someone will chime in to help. I know it was a pain in the @ss cause we chipped 1 door and had to repaint it.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

I found it easier to mount the wells to the fenders first and then mount the whole thing to the car/frame. It's a little more weight to handle, but they won't scratch each other up in the process.

I did tape thin cardboard to the edges to add a little more protection during the mating process. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

Can somebody help me please.
With both tie rods disconnected how can I tell when the steering is inthe central position.So that I am able to connect the tie rods & have a wheel alignment done.
Dave from England

Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from England View Post
Can somebody help me please.
With both tie rods disconnected how can I tell when the steering is inthe central position.So that I am able to connect the tie rods & have a wheel alignment done.
Dave from England
You could probably draw lines on the floor or use a straight edge across both fronts to get them to visually align with the rears. You want them both to be in alignment with the direction of the back. Then turn the steering wheel all the way to one side. Then count the number of turns to go to the other side. So turn it all the way left. If it takes 4 rotations to get to the right side then your "straight" up is 1/2 of that which would be two turns in this case. Make sense?

You should be able to connect your tie rods and trailer it to an alignment shop at this point.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe I should explain in a little more detail.I have a friend who has all the alignment equipment but is a Mopar man and alignment it not done with shims on a Mopar.He brought the equipment to my shop to do the alignment there.Id had the steering components powder coated & I hadnt cleaned the theads out in the tie rod sleeves when I first coupled up the steering so it was nessesary to dissconnect the tie rods & clean out the threads.He set up the caster & camber but now needs to complete the job and set up the toe in but needs to be sure where the cental position is on the steering before reconnecting the tie rods,are there any markings to set this too to be sure the steering is in the central position.
Dave from England

Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

Wheel alignment has now been completed but Im in need of a few bits so is there anyone who can help me out.Im in need of one tie rod sleeve clamp plus nut and bolt also I need two castle nuts for the tie rod ends.Ive looked through various catalogs including our hosts but no one seems to sell these bits and its imposible to buy them over here.As for the nuts for the tie rods weeve been using metric since the seventies and hardware stores and such like generally stock nothing else.So if someone has some to sell please contact me.
Dave from England

Old 10-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

A few update photos since January plus more on photo album which will bring progress up to date. Is it possible that someone can help me out with my previous post regarding clamp and castle nuts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12489.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	261320   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10068.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	261322   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10066.jpg
Views:	28