67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeh wait until you have exhausted all other means, before you get too sneaky about it.

Somewhere a guy is worrying about the safety of that car almost everyday.
He might be in the military, or working for the state or federal government for a certain number of years.

Too much car there to just have been left behind - free for the taking first come first served.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM

i went back to look at the car today, finally having the time to do so. i checked the console compartment, hoping to find a copy of the last registration or proof of insurance, but there was just a live cockroach, some junk and a bunch of water. i tried to check the glove box, but either it was locked or i don't know how to open the glove box on a 1st gen firebird. luckily though, the windshield adhesive has lost its adhesive properties, so i was able to lift up the windshield enough to get my finger under it to brush some dirt off of the VIN and read it. so i now have the car's VIN number. it was built at the lordstown, ohio plant and is an original 6 cylinder car. i'll call the DMV in the morning since i have tomorrow off of work and start finding out which hoops i need to jump through to become the owner of this car.

now onto the body. this time i inspected the body a little bit more thoroughly. first off, i noticed something i didn't notice before when i got the license plate number--the car has a trailer hitch. i looked through a 1969 pontiac accessories manual, and i didn't see any mention of a trailer hitch or tow package for any models, so whether or not it was an option is unknown. the quarter panels are, as expected, in poor shape and in need of replacement patch panels, though luckily it seems that just the lower area behind the tires need to be replaced, and not the entire panel. in fact, i guess the driver's side was bad to begin with because there is some soft fiberglass material glued over a hole in the panel as you can see in one of the pictures. the hood and deck lid are in the same exact shape, which is this: you know how both of these lids have the skin on top that gets welded to the frame? the frames for both were still locked down, but the skins of each have rusted off. i was able to flap the trunk lid up and down, but i couldn't get it open enough to look inside the trunk. unfortunately i didn't think to bring a flashlight. the rear window filler panel looked good though, as did the edge around the rear window. i'm not saying it won't need work, but if i was to get this car running and drive it around before doing the bodywork(a very likely situation), it doesn't look like it'll have any leaks. the valance panel under the front end is mostly rusted away, but it's still bolted in and all of the braces and brackets are still in place, so at least i'll know where the new valance should go when that time comes. the front end pieces themselves(headlights, chrome bumper, all that stuff) looked pretty good, and everything is still aligned perfectly. i highly doubt this car was ever in as much as a fender bender, much less a full-fledged accident. i tried opening the hood, but the release rod would not budge(unless i was doing it wrong). i did manage to look through the passenger side though to see that it is indeed a 6 cylinder engine with the A/C still attached and radiator support with radiator still in place. there were a pair of jack stands holding up the radiator support as well as a neatly stacked pile of bricks underneath the skid plate under the engine, which would help explain why it looks like the tires are still inflated.

when i got inside the car this time, i decided to clean off the driver's seat and try the seat out. i pushed down on the driver's foot board with my foot, and it felt pretty soft, which is not surprising since the car is in a field. quite honestly, i'm surprised i didn't fall through the floor when i sat down in the seat. but nevertheless, the seat didn't budge when i sat in it. no squeaks from rusty springs(or mice); the car didn't react to me at all. i looked closer at the shifter knob to make sure it is a 4 speed and not a 3 speed, and while the black ink on the white knob has disappeared, it is indeed a 4 speed. a 6 cylinder with a 4 speed that used to have a factory hood tach. kinda gives me high hopes that this is a sprint 6. i pushed the clutch to the floor and tried to shift, but i was only able to move the shifter about 1/4 of an inch back. i wonder if maybe the transmission blew up at some point and that's why it was put out to pasture. the mileage on the odometer read 23,012, which since the car was taken off of the road in or around 1981, i'm thinking that that might be the true mileage. maybe wishful thinking, but until i see proof stating otherwise, i'm going to believe that. if the gas gauge is still in the same position it was in when the car was last turned off and is accurate, the car has just under half a tank, which means that the gas tank and rubber fuel lines at least, if not also the steel lines, are toast. i was expecting to replace the rubber lines and gas tank anyway, so i'm not really surprised at that. the dog tags hanging from the dash's grab bar are just fake dog tags with something biblical written on them. i don't remember exactly what they said, but something about waiting for my turn to go to heaven. since it was hanging on its grab bar, i wonder if, for some unknown reason, the car was meant to sit undisturbed until it just disappears. maybe the previous owner wasn't quite right in the head or the dog tags refer to a family member, i don't know. really, no idea there.

that's pretty much it. until i get the car in my driveway and inspect it with a floor jack(or an engine lift) i won't have any new information on the condition of the car, but like i said, i'll be talking with the DMV extensively tomorrow to see what i can do. i'm going to see if there is a way i can apply for an abandoned auto title if they can't help me find the owner. anyway, here are some more pictures. nothing too enlightening, but the pair of bumper stickers kinda help me wonder about the car's history before its last drive. FTU changed its named to UCF somewhere in the mid '80's and it turns out the car is not too far away from one of the valencia campuses, so that all makes sense.

P.S. sorry for the huge wall of text there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03107.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	253559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03109.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	253560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03110.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	253561   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03111.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	253562  

Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow... going to be a major project if you get it. 4-speed Sprint 6 might have SOME redeeming value. Not worth a ton, but fairly rare and kind of neat.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 PM

i'm not doing it for resale value. i'm doing it because '69 firebirds are my favorite year and model of car ever made, and i have a chance to not only own one, but to save a car from extinction at the same time. i really don't know how i'll do it since i've already got a '72 formula that needs a restoration, then there's my wagon as well, but i can't stand knowing that this car is just sitting out there, slowly eroding away. it'll take time, and the neighbors will not be happy, but in my mind, this car is worth it.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didnt realize that this car was that close to me.

If its an A/C 4 speed OHC-6,it will be a 1bbl.
Sprints couldnt be had with A/C in 68-9.

I dont remember when FTU changed to UCF,it was well after
I was going there,so could have been late 70s.
If the 73-4 Valencia sticker is the right time frame,
FTU would have been 75-6 or so.

Sounds like this car is going to need alot of work......

Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
If its an A/C 4 speed OHC-6,it will be a 1bbl.
Sprints couldnt be had with A/C in 68-9.
that would explain the absence of any kind of OHC 6 badges on the hood or anything like that.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:52 PM

It would be great if you could save that car, it really gets me going when people wont sell their cars until there is nothing left to sell then they advertise it. Ive bought two 69 Firebirds that weren't even good as scrapmetal (just for the parts), why couldn't they sell it sooner?

Now there is a '68 LeMans custom convertible, power everything, A/C, etc. standing outside, window half opened, owner refuses to sell, rain season is coming. Im sure in 10 years he'll ask me to buy it.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmyThe1972Wagon View Post
i'm not doing it for resale value. i'm doing it because '69 firebirds are my favorite year and model of car ever made, and i have a chance to not only own one, but to save a car from extinction at the same time. i really don't know how i'll do it since i've already got a '72 formula that needs a restoration, then there's my wagon as well, but i can't stand knowing that this car is just sitting out there, slowly eroding away. it'll take time, and the neighbors will not be happy, but in my mind, this car is worth it.
Good on your part for saving it

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sometimes junk is just junk.You will end up spending a boatload of money and time for a car that is not that desirable and is past saving.
Since 69 is your favorite year, save your money until you find one in better condition.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM

ignoring the naysayers, i sent away the records request form today and once i find out why my printer isn't working all of a sudden, i'll send in the PHS order form. the lady at the DMV said that depending on the results of the records request there may be a way to apply for an abandoned title and get the car in my name.

and by the way, even if i get the car home and i find it is past saving, there are a lot of parts in the interior alone that i could easily clean up a little and sell for parts money to use on my '72 formula, so either way, this car is worth it, depending on whether or not i actually have to pay for the car or not. the glass is all good, the doors are good, and except for the hood and possibly the fenders, the entire front end is ready to be cleaned and repainted, no extra work required. either this car will provide me a lifetime or fun alongside my other 2 cars, which already have too much sentimental value to ever be replaced, or it'll give me some profit that i can use to help my current projects along. regardless of how you look at it: I WIN(as long as i can get the car to be legally mine, that is).

Old 08-19-2011, 02:13 AM

You certainly have allot of enthusiasm I'll give you that. Sitting in a Florida field for atleast 20year will equal most of the sheetmetal needing replaced. Did you end up doing a title history on the car? I did on my 68 and came up with all the past owners. Good luck with it, at least it has some good parts/options that can go one in other vehicles if you deem it's beyond economical repair.

68 Firebird 400 Convt 33 option car:tilt, cruise, AC, 281 trim code leather interior, PDB,PS,P top,headrest, rear antenna, Ralley 2's, TH 400, Speedminder speedo buzzer, clock, tinted windows, floor mats, remote mirror, door edge guards, remote deck lid release, trunk lamp, safety track rear, AM FM radio, visor vanity mirror, custom seatbelts, console,heavy duty air cleaner, exhaust extensions, tinted glass- all.
All factory installed total price $5121.18 !!!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice!
must have been a GM exec/program car

68 Firebird 400 Convt 33 option car:tilt, cruise, AC, 281 trim code leather interior, PDB,PS,P top,headrest, rear antenna, Ralley 2's, TH 400, Speedminder speedo buzzer, clock, tinted windows, floor mats, remote mirror, door edge guards, remote deck lid release, trunk lamp, safety track rear, AM FM radio, visor vanity mirror, custom seatbelts, console,heavy duty air cleaner, exhaust extensions, tinted glass- all.
All factory installed total price $5121.18 !!!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a GM exec car it did have lots of options but not as loaded as you would expect for someone that could get anything he wanted on a car, I spoke with the original owner from GM in Kansas City he told me they only get the car until the next model year, he let this one go to his insurance man

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwayfirebird400 View Post
You certainly have allot of enthusiasm I'll give you that. Sitting in a Florida field for atleast 20year will equal most of the sheetmetal needing replaced. Did you end up doing a title history on the car? I did on my 68 and came up with all the past owners. Good luck with it, at least it has some good parts/options that can go one in other vehicles if you deem it's beyond economical repair.
and if i find that the car is beyond saving, the 4 speed will be going to my formula, and i'm sure i'll just put the rest in storage so if i ever get a '69 rolling chassis, i'll have parts for it already saved up. after my '72 formula rolling chassis i can honestly say---"never again". finding parts for it is one thing, but then figuring out where they're supposed to go is something else entirely. and i haven't even done anything truly complicated on the formula yet. when i get around to the interior, i'm sure i'll be asking many, many questions on even the simplest things.

and as a side note, if the '69 firebird find ends up being more reproduction sheetmetal than original, that would actually not be that bad because then i wouldn't be afraid to drive it. if it gets into an accident, as long as its not my fault and the car's saveable, i'll get over it because the car wasn't original anyway, you see what i'm saying? and this would be a good chance to modify the car without having to worry about originality. T/A hood with ram air, ducktail spoiler, T/A fenders or standard ones with the fake vents actually cut out and made functional...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope you get it. Being in the salt- (and therefore RUST-) belt, I made a decision about 15 years ago not to pursue a rusty car ever again. With the exception of a '69 FB (coincidentally) I inherited a couple years ago, I am still true to that pledge.

At the very least you could upload some of the pics to the 'rotting American muscle' website.

...OK, back to work for me. Good thread - please keep it alive as the story unfolds!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great thread,The enthusiasm for the car makes me remember my first roadside find. good Luck with the find Lemmy, and keep us posted. fastwayfirebird400: how do you get a title history?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get back over there to look under the hood, remember this: To open a first gen hood you first pull the release rod and the hood will spring up a few inches. Then with one hand push down on the hood and pull the release rod again with your other hand and it should open. If that doesn't work, you may have to push down on the hood before pulling the release rod. I've been following this thread from the start and it's a really cool story.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limejudge69 View Post
If you get back over there to look under the hood, remember this: To open a first gen hood you first pull the release rod and the hood will spring up a few inches. Then with one hand push down on the hood and pull the release rod again with your other hand and it should open. If that doesn't work, you may have to push down on the hood before pulling the release rod. I've been following this thread from the start and it's a really cool story.
when i tried to pull the release rod, it wouldn't even budge the first time, so it's probably rusted shut. i have no idea how i'll manage to get the hood or trunk open without damaging the rest of the car whenever the car comes home.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:50 PM

well, i got the PHS report today and i am quite disappointed in myself since i know that it is completely my fault. apparently i got one of the numbers in the VIN messed up. the report i got says the VIN is for a canadian '69 coupe dressed in green with a standard gold interior, and auto trans, and deluxe wheelcovers. as you can see by the pictures in the original post, the car is blue on blue with a 4 speed and rally rims. so, since the windshield adhesive has worn off anyway, when i go back, i'm taking the windshield out of its frame completely. i'll rest it on the hood as i'm checking the VIN, then put it back in place. and since the hood and decklid are trash anyway, i'm bringing my flat tip screwdriver, tire iron with the chisel tip, and a sledgehammer, and one way or another, the hood and decklid will be opened. before massacring the hood though, i'll try doing what limejudge69 said about 1st gen hoods. this also means that the records request i sent to the DMV will come back with nothing, if it even comes back. at least the fee for that was only 50 cents, not $65 like the PHS. the part i messed up would have been somewhere in the "02117" digits of the VIN. i know the "U6" part was correct saying it was from lordstown and a 6 cylinder, but how could i have messed up the other 5 digits?... i'll bring some acetone too and clean off the VIN plate, maybe that'll help.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 PM

alright, there was a huge black and yellow-striped spider that made a web in front of my only path to the hood, so i didn't mess with that, but i managed to unlock the glove box and found the last registration. i now know the address and name of the guy i need to talk to to get the car. according to the registration, he's 66 years old, so this could be very easy or very difficult. progress has been made!