67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Default 69 TA Vert #8 of 8 where is it now?

Correct me if I am wrong – PLEASE!

There are only 7 of the 8 original 1969 Trans Am convertibles remaining. I remember a Reader submittal, with B/W photo, to a magazine (Hot Rod in the 80’s?) that questioned the VIN# of the 7th. At that time, only 6 were known to still exist.

The writer had purchased the car, and when he asked the vin question about a 1969 Firebird convertible, it was then a Drag Car with an incorrect Big Block Chevy engine and wild race style paint on the sides of the car. And, I think it was also mentioned that the car was purchased cheap! (?)

The magazine reply verified that it was indeed the 7th ’69 T/A convertible. They wrote how rare it was, and what a great find it was. The magazine also reported, then, that the car was to be completely restored as original. A while later, year or two (?), a short follow up article and picture was published in the same magazine. It showed in a B/W photo that the car had been restored. I seem to remember then, that it was written the 8th had been crushed. (?) I have the articles in my magazine archives somewhere. “I’m not a Pontiac expert, but I play one on TV!”

Anyone know which 1969 T/A Convertible this is? Ex: engine/trans, interior/top colors, etc., where it is now?

And, the 1969 T/A convertible #8 of 8, where is it now?

Neat history! Feel free to ad images, and info here.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE the 1969 T/A convertible #8 of 8, where is it now? QUOTE]

....in a "barn" in Canada....

Old 09-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not 100% sure of my source but heard it's in the Montreal area...

Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Suspended

Yes, according to Don Keefe telcom today, the #8 69 T/A Convertible "last he knew, it was in a barn somewhere in Canada. But it may be somewhere else by now."

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Chief

It's in a warehouse in Troy Michigan. Was shipped here from Alberta Ca a few years ago.

He said "What was left of #8 fit in the bed of a pickup truck" and that all that was left was the engine and transmission.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

I thought they were all together .!! I live close to troy , i would like to see that .

Old 09-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Senior Chief

I went to this huge warehouse last year off 14 mile to help a friend purchase a 65 tri power GTO. Amongst the stash of I would say 50 cars, a few 69 T/A's, at least 6 GTO's a 70 Judge and a 73 Buccaneer Red Super Duty with less than 4k on the odometer and many other very nice first gen Firebirds. From talking to a few people there, this warehoused collection belonged to a conglomerate of GM execs and other well-to-do people.

I was approached by the owner of one 69 T/A and struck up a conversation. Since I owned many 67-68's and had 2 now, he introduced me to another guy and we began to talk about a Verdoro green 68 he had on a lift with a 67 underneath. We were shooting the s**t and I made mention of the 69 I was looking at. So then the #8 came up and that was it. I was a nobody there with a friend buying a 65 GTO and he had no reason to impress me or otherwise make the story up. I also had no reason to doubt his integrity or his rationale for the information. The amount of cars there, the condition of the cars, the cleanliness of the warehouse would lead me to believe his word as fact.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by intense View Post
I thought they were all together .!! I live close to troy , i would like to see that .
I'm at Livernois and 15 mile (Main and Maple). You're gonna have me peeking in every warehouse I drive by....

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default #8 1969 Trans am convertible:

I know where it is. It's also a 4 speed car too.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you guys talking about the #8 in VIN numbers list or the last one to be found?

The "missing" TA convertible is a 4speed with blue top & deluxe blue interior.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Road trip for all the Detroit area Pontiac lovers ... to paraphrase the commercial ... "if you find it ... it's yours!" Yeah right ...

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

I would be happy just to see the trim tag in person ..

Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This sounds like a job for SuperSteveD400

The LIST

i think some of you guys have had your chains pulled

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
This sounds like a job for SuperSteveD400

The LIST

i think some of you guys have had your chains pulled
Ya think???

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was thinking more like an It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World style treasure hunt.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

My chain isn't pulled ! if the car is there I would like to see it !

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default #8.

Chris, you know I'm not the type to pull someone's chain..... And Todd, you can take Chris' word........ I know of the car and know the owner personally.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So was it still in the back of the pickup truck when you saw it ?
I'm hoping that part is at least someones exaggeration. (not banshee - but his source)

Somehow i'm not completely sure if we're all on the same page or not.
As in - now all 8 are positively alive and well, and accounted for ?

I had 'thought' the one in western canada was the 7th one discovered/uncovered.

Maybe Telly will write us a small outline of what he knows and label each one.

Its just that there have been almost as many unverifiable claims and sightings about the last one - as there have been about Elvis. And Elvis is dead and gone. RIP

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Elvis is alive & well, working at a Burger King in Kalamazoo, MI driving a '69 T/A Conv.
Last I heard, he shares an appt. w/Jim Morrison

Semper Fi
Old 09-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Keith, You know who it is but never realized it. You know him well. I'll have him tell you all about the '69 T/A convertible at one of our Saturday morning gatherings. He has had it for several years.

By the way while all of the 8 left the factory as Ram Air III's one made a side trip to engineering to became a Ram Air IV before delivery. It is a 4-speed with air, and is still with the orginal owner, Jim Wangers went through a lot to get it prepaired before deliveryto one the Adam's family, of McMannus, John and Adams. PMD's ad agency. The car had a hard time launching and the clutch did go out on it once street racing on Woodward one night. This car also sustained heavy damage in an accident. It was rebuilt and now lives with its retired original owners in California.

The really sad part about the '69 T/A convertibles one of my neighbor' owned the Detroit based automatic car. I belived sold through a Detroit Pontiac Dealer.The wife drove it until giving it to one of her son's in 1974. In 1975 while the parents were out of town his older brother told him to get rid of it and get a new Cosworth Vega like his. The younger brother took it to Penski Chevrolet and was offered $900.00. My brother told me about it too late. The parents came home and the dad was pissed. He made the son keep that black and gold Vega for years. I remember it still parked on their driveway in the 1990's. One of our other neighbors bought it for $1,000.00 repainted it. A V.P. from Shostak Brothers Development. He kept it for a number of years until he became very ill and died. The car was sold for $100,000.00 to Milt Robson for his collection in GA. The car did appear in a few articles in the 1980's. Milt ended up with three of the T/A convertibles before selling them off.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 09-26-2011 at 10:15 AM.