Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Hello! I'm considering purchasing a '70 Catalina off a friend but I know nothing about it, nor much of pontiacs in general, to use as a "learning tool for my backyard mechanic skills (very green, just starting out here) But before doing so, I want to make sure about the availabilty of parts and parts interchange info, specifically in regards to powertrain and drivetrain. For example, my friend's comes with a 350p -- how's the aftermarket for this and would I be able to swap in a 455? What about tranny and rear-end choices? Anyone have experience with HiPerformer remanufactured engines? Here are their long blocks for the 70 cat:
http://www.hiperformer.com/pontiac-c...970-parts.html

any tidbit of info would be much appreciated..

thanks!

Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Hello! I'm considering purchasing a '70 Catalina off a friend but I know nothing about it, nor much of pontiacs in general, to use as a "learning tool for my backyard mechanic skills (very green, just starting out here) But before doing so, I want to make sure about the availabilty of parts and parts interchange info, specifically in regards to powertrain and drivetrain. For example, my friend's comes with a 350p -- how's the aftermarket for this and would I be able to swap in a 455? What about tranny and rear-end choices? Anyone have experience with HiPerformer remanufactured engines? Here are their long blocks for the 70 cat:
http://www.hiperformer.com/pontiac-c...970-parts.html

any tidbit of info would be much appreciated..

thanks!

Old 03-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

virtually all of the pontiac engines will interchange without much difficulty. most mechanical parts were used with many applications , so they are not difficult to find.i have a 70 also and have found that even the chain stores like autozone carry many of the parts. the 455 will bolt right in . they were optional in all the models that year. most also had the TH400 which is an excellent transmission. rearend choices are a little more difficult. most came with an open rear in them. posi rearends can be found , but usually at a higher cost. body parts are a different story too. most are a 70 only item. some 69 parts will interchange but not many. there are not really any reproduction body parts made , but luckily there are still many cars in salvage yards and ebay is a good source too. if you need any parts i may be able to point you in the right direction , as i have collected a lot of information and many parts sources for these cars over the last few years. never heard of the engine manufacturer so i can't help you with that. by the , welcome to the forums!

Old 03-19-2004, 04:07 AM

Thanks, for the info! BTW, what kind of rearend is it and what's the axle ratio (or a list if there were options)? and I probably will be coming back here later for such body info (it needs some work).

one last question: what about headers? I see them listed by performance years here http://www.pypesexhaust.com/headers.html but only for 1965-1968

Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

rearends generally were in the high 2 or low 3 ratio range. don't know about the headers. the problem would be that it is rear steer , meaning that the steering box is behind the crossmember. might be interference problems there unless you were to find specifically designed headers.

Old 03-19-2004, 06:29 PM

ok, thanks again. (.. me starts saving now for the custom headers )