Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New PA License Plate

So I was perusing eBay the other day and came across some new/never used 71-76 PA license plates. The seller had a few of them with consecutive numbers as well as a dealer plate - all in their original PennDOT envelopes. So I snagged one. I had to change my registration to Antique or Classic. After submitting photos of the plate and a wad of cash, I was able to get a new registration tied to the plate;

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Last edited by pontiacstogo; 07-14-2017 at 09:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacstogo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nicely done! I snagged two consecutive bicentennial 76 PA plates last year online and plan to use one on my 74 Rockford Esprit and the other on my 76 Formula. I also snagged a couple of period correct (for each year car) registration stickers to apply to the plates although I believe one had an original still on it.

You're right about the wad of cash though as the fees pile up quickly. I figure about $300 or so per car.(?)

What's the latest and greatest on the state inspection rules for the classic/antique registrations? If no inspection, there are reproduction inspection stickers available for specific years too.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
What's the latest and greatest on the state inspection rules for the classic/antique registrations? If no inspection, there are reproduction inspection stickers available for specific years too.
I've resisted the antique/classic plate switch for some time as I do drive the car quite a bit. I ended up going with Antique which means no inspection required and lifetime registration so the savings will pay off over time. I believe Classic still requires inspection.

With service fees I think it ran me around $260 to switch to the Antique title and register the new (old) plate. The plate I picked up has a T temporary tag but I have been eyeing up a 74 registration decal;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-pennsyl.../361294848042?

Not sure I can justify $20 for a decal

I figured I would just remove the inspection stickers on the windshield - I hadn't thought of trying to source some reproduction versions of those as well.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Dammit - you planted that seed and I've been checking on eBay ever since. Finally scored a new/unused PA inspection sticker that was listed yesterday.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Looks Good. Someone on there was also selling clear film plastic sheets cut to shape and size of plate with holes. I grabbed some but untested, for when I wanted to 'display' US plates but have protective cover. With the front plate mount and the rear fuel door handle it makes it hard for most typical plate covers. Might be cheap insurance, mainly the front, from bugs and stonechips.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Very nice. This is my PA plate. It's my antique plate. I used an old dealer plate as that was the only way to get the year (1974) on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	467489  

Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is mine on the 69 Firebird.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4429[1].jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	467491  

Old 11-12-2017, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyqt View Post
Very nice. This is my PA plate. It's my antique plate. I used an old dealer plate as that was the only way to get the year (1974) on it.
Funny - I've had a couple of people already ask why I went to all that trouble when the plate has '76' on it. Looking forward to getting the matching inspection sticker on it in the spring and losing the modern ones that are on her now.

Yes I've run out of things to play with on my car

Old 04-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was able to score a Louisiana 74 75 original license plate that has never been registered before off of eBay. Now hopefully I haven't checked yet but I plan on using this license plate when I register the car hopefully they'll let me do this and just add the stickers for the current year. If not I'll just have a license plate to use for show at car shows.
Thanks for the heads up on this Peter.

Bub
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180408_120139.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	480238