Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Could you take and post a picture of just the turbo support bracket?
How is it attached to the turbo and the frame?
Stainless pipe grows quite a bit with long runs of pipe.
It your turbo supply system mostly chromed mild steel or stainless?
(minus the shorty headers).

Thanks Tom V.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Tom. The turbo supply and exhaust is all polished stainless. This is a pic of the header to turbo run. The second pipe is located on the wrong v-clamp flange of the 180 pipe. It should be on the other one. The wastegate is also located in a direct run off of the 180 header to turbo pipe.

This is the other end and how it is attached to the turbo.

The turbo support is 1/8th inch steel plate. Bolted directly to the frame rail and the turbo is bolted at the top to a 90 degree angle off of the turbo hot side flange. The turbo support bracket will also float a little forward and back incase of movement or expansion. Although the flex joint should handle all of it.

The turbo supply also has a flex joint inserted as you can see in the second pic. I'm not worried about the long run of the exit exhaust as it will not heat as much as the turbo supply will.

Mark

Old 02-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Boost Engineer

"The turbo support is 1/8th inch steel plate. Bolted directly to the frame rail and the turbo is bolted at the top to a 90 degree angle off of the turbo hot side flange. The turbo support bracket will also float a little forward and back incase of movement or expansion. Although the flex joint should handle all of it."

That is the info I was looking for.

A very nice design, and as you said you covered the expansion (growth of stainless pipe) deal very well. Thanks

I was just thinking that a simple tube welded on the bottom down bracket with a tab on each side would never crack the lower bend portion of the bracket and might be easier to remove the assy (1 bolt + nut) vs unbolting several fasteners into the frame thru the lower bend of the support.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking good Mark!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got my polished aluminum intercool piping kit today. I will start cutting and fitting all of that now. I still have to locate and make final brackets to hold the intercoolers themselves. Then the piping can be built.

Mark L

Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Suspended

Looking cool! I like the dual carbs.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carry on Mark !!!
I'm getting jealous...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-21-2014, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Troy. I just realized you never hit the 9 sec slot with the '60. Man, I was rooting for you. The GP should be easy peasy!

Mark

Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Hey Troy. I just realized you never hit the 9 sec slot with the '60. Man, I was rooting for you. The GP should be easy peasy!

Mark
Sad but true Mark. Would have been easy with new combo with the 60 to.
Should be a cake walk with the GP. Every time I drive my PowerStroke I get a smile
when turbo starts making boost. Just thinking.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't realize what a kick it I when those turbos come in. It's a real rush. The power increase will determine how much you soil the pants, LOL.
Finished up the mock up of my Cold side intercooler to scoop/hat today. I just have to add the blow off valves to the pipes right at the scoop exit half way down the pipe.

The intercooler stand is kind of crappy so I'm going to try to make a better looking stand.

Mark

Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dang, that looks nice!!

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn Mark, pretty soon you won't even be able to see that engine in there!

Looking good, and mean!

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well like everything I do on this car, I'm always thinking of other configurations or combinations. I was concerned that my intercooler heat exchanger would never get enough air flow when I'm either at slow speed or stopped at lights etc. It was so tight (up close to the cam driven fuel pump) that, even of I could find decent electric fans that would fit the odd shape of the heat exchanger (24 inches wide by 8 inches high), it would not fit ahead of the pump. Because of the steering gear it would not let me move the heat exchanger farther forward and due to the intercoolers above, I could not move it up and forward.
I found a nice little aluminum radiator with fan for $60 on E-Bay. It's for an earlier Mini and it is 14.5 wide and 16.5 tall. Perfect to fit forward next to the steering gear in between the intercoolers placed on their sides. This is the last configuration I showed you.

This is also a good view of where everything is. The recovery/fill tank would have sat directly between the intercoolers but higher to be the high point of the system.

in this one you can see how close the pump and heat exchanger was.

This is the new configuration for the intercoolers, but I'm waiting for the little radiator to arrive. It will set between and farther forward a little bit but not much higher than the intercoolers. So it will not stick out too much, if at all. With the fan it will be much more efficient. I'm paranoid about the heat down here so I do everything to defeat it. Especially with a boosted situation.

The new little radiator will also solve any extra water fill/recovery tank that I have but it would require extra mounting frames and running additional lines. It'll be more compact and the fan will give it cooler air that the other did not have. I'll get more pics when I get the new radiator in place.

The pic is misleading though. The intercoolers will be level and equal in position. The angle of the pic makes them look off kilter. I've made little brackets to mount the bottom of the intercoolers to the frame, but after I got everything in position and the welder all set up I hit the handle button and I got one 1/4 inch of wire and ran out. BUMMER!!!!

Mark

Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes I think too much. But I don't want heat to hurt the motor in any way. This is a straight on look and you can see where the new little radiator will sit.

The radiator will set farther forward than the other one did and gives me more room for an attached fan on that little radiator. You can see that the intake tubes from the intercoolers to the scoop will have to be lengthened again and then set an more of an angle. But that is minor.

Mark

Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Looking at your Inter-cooler water tanks and the inlet/exhaust water ports in the center.

From experience I can tell you that you will never completely fill the tanks without some air bleeds at the top surface of the tanks.

I was working on a prototype Escape turbo system (about 8 years ago) and we were not getting the inter-cooling efficiency that we wanted. The fix turned out to be a simple bleed screw at the top of the inter cooler tanks. The way it was we were filling/ cooling about 60% of the water tubes and the rest had trapped air keeping the water out.

Just saying.

Tom V.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are exactly right Tom. Once I get the intercoolers oriented (if I ever get there, LOL) I will drill and tap for bleed screws. In the one close up pic previously of the heat exchanger, you can see the-12 AN weld on bung as the top exit of the exchanger. The original was half way down the side tank and would have acted the same way. I can't believe someone would design them that way and I see them still for sale on E-Bay. This is another reason for the Mini radiator. It has a top fill so it will act as a water fill tank/return tank. It will be the highest point of the system so all air will be at the top and in a void or easily released. Good catch Tom. These are the things that I sit and ponder. I'm not just another pretty face ya know. LOL. (Lots of people will confirm that).

Mark

Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

""I'm not just another pretty face ya know""

Boy, aint that the truth!!!

POCI.org
Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Boost Engineer

No criticism, Mark, just passing on an experience we had on one of our deals.
99.99999 % of the Inter-Coolers out there do not pay attention to that stuff.
Your deal is very well done.

Tom Vaught

Old 02-27-2014, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Tom, absolutely no criticism or offense taken. I appreciate your interest and experience. I've read many things that you've posted over the years and I've never seen anything dishonest or misleading. You're always trying to help. That is always appreciated in my book. Keep firing away Tom, I ain't got everything figerred out either. Every day is best spent learning at least one thing.
Keith---aaaaaa shut up ya big lug!!!! LOL.

Mark

Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the little Mini radiator in today. Mocked it up in place.

Mark