Old 10-31-2019, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 T/A seat covers

Has anyone had SMS make there seat covers, if so how well were you satisfied with the experience

I spoke with them about doing mine. Bright Blue deluxe interior. They wanted my covers to make new set. was told they take them apart to make patterns.

I have gotten samples from Legendary and Al knock neather are as good as SMS for material or color

shame is my covers are pretty darn nice . two burn marks in rear seat cushion . but nice. may fly with what I have but doing some research
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1409_01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	523344   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1421.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	523345  

Last edited by dld; 10-31-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a spare set of (front) deluxe brown seats...

Maybe you need to find a member who has recently recovered their 1970-deluxe seats to get their original covers?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:18 PM

Does SMS actually make seat covers? I know they do door panels, but thought that otherwise they just provide the material by the yard. In my experience their vinyl is top notch stuff, but be aware they are very slow on delivery times.

If your existing upholstery is nice except for the burn marks, you may want to find a local upholstery shop that can make repairs. I've seen pictures of repaired seats where they can fill in burn holes somehow and make them pretty much disappear.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
Has anyone had SMS make there seat covers, if so how well were you satisfied with the experience

I spoke with them about doing mine. Bright Blue deluxe interior. They wanted my covers to make new set. was told they take them apart to make patterns.

I have gotten samples from Legendary and Al knock neather are as good as SMS for material or color

shame is my covers are pretty darn nice . two burn marks in rear seat cushion . but nice. may fly with what I have but doing some research
If it was my car I would
1. Use your originals.
2. I like the Legendary covers. I think the color is very good and the quality of the covers is excellent. For a restored car this is the way to go. Even though the color may not be exact neither is your exterior color of your car when you paint it in base clear.
3. Look at AL knock.
4. Build your own with the SMS material. I did that a few years back and it was a lot of work. My interior guy wont do it again. The insert they sell is more of a aqua color than blue. Matches perfect to used original covers. However when you take apart a few original covers, the insert that has never seen sunlight is bright blue and not aqua. I would not build cover again.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes. apparently they do sew also. The material samples I received is way better than what I have gotten from the popular vendors . They actually have the real deal center material / With openings .

looking for someone with experience with there covers fit and quality of workmanship. ....Hey once I send my covers no going back.

yes. I can buy just the material and find someone else to sew that has patterns. Say Al Knock. But not sure how receptive he would be to all that.

thanks for responding Don

Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

from your description of your covers, I'd definitely find donor seats to recover, and leave yours alone.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-31-2019, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't know SMS made covers, either. Maybe they're expanding their business. (If they want you to send yours in, that suggests they don't presently have a pattern for '70 Firebirds....)
As an alternative (if SMS is really expensive) I'm pretty sure if you buy the comfort weave fabric from SMS, you can send it to Legendary and they will use it to make covers.

If the pictured seats are your originals, though, I'd try to save them. They look nice. Perhaps you buy the new fabric pieces you need, and a good upholstery shop could replace only the panels that need it.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
... two burn marks in rear seat cushion.
You could buy just the material from SMS , and have a local primadona replace the needed section(s).

Old 11-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought SMS NOS material for my LeMans police car, and had Rich Perez make the covers front and rear. $1400 later, they were done, and perfect.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4