Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
On some '70 Trans Ams having smaller, Formula sway bars,....I recall Giles had done some research on this, & at the time, IIRC, he'd found that only some Van Nuys TA's got built with the smaller bars. The belief here, is that for whatever reason, the larger bars did not get sent to Van Nuys in time for some of the TA's production. So rather than hold up the orders, the smaller bars were installed. My 0L106374 has these Formula bars. Interesting to notice that the Build Sheets did not make a distinction whether the TA was built with large or smaller bars. All that I've seen so far just have the same F41 suspension code.
Hey Ric, don't give up that theory just yet, my 0L106841 T/A has Formula bars on it, and I'm sure they are original too. Mine is an auto with A/C, could that be it?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith K and I both had 70 trans ams built in Van Nuys which were 34 VIN's apart (his being earlier) so they may have been built the same day. His car had the smaller formula sway bars and mine had the larger ones. His had chrome dash bezels and mine were black.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think they didn't care that much and just put on what was in the bin.......my car got the 273 carb but was an automatic........

Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I think they didn't care that much and just put on what was in the bin.......my car got the 273 carb but was an automatic........
I had a virgin 70 Formula auto that had a 7040263. Coincidently it was code 43 green like yours.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

I recall a thread where someone here had posted about some type of extra flap that bolts up in the rear quarter wheel well. The poster showed pics of some NOS ones. Does anyone know what Im talking about? I think it was an early 70 deal too.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PthatP,...don't think that's the reason since my 0L TA is an M21 & non A/C. Someone stated that the line workers may have just grabbed whatever was nearest to them at the time a certain car passed by. Might not be anything more significant than a worker not wanting to heft the larger bars, so they "whimped out" & grabbed the smaller, lighter ones!
2many,...your pics are only the 2nd metal tailpanel I've seen. Interesting to notice that, just like the other, the 4th character in the cast number is unclear. Can you make it out? I see 981x48. THe other panel I've seen was from 0L100362.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i may pop the tail panel of mine to check the numbers, i'll edit this post with them when i do.
Not sure of the cutoff date/year, but weren't the plastic seals that install in the core support and go around the subframe to seal it off only installed for the first year or two? same thing with the stapled in inner fender skirts, correct? Or not used in the F-body at all? I also recall reading at some point that getting the suspension changes that Adams and others wanted was a bit of a battle between engineering and production. Maybe the change from small to large bars coincides with the parts getting a late approval for production? just a supposition.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The potmetal tailpanel I have also has the over stamp on it. It is on a Norwood car serial#00099 - build date, 2nd week Dec. 69

Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
On some '70 Trans Ams having smaller, Formula sway bars,....I recall Giles had done some research on this, & at the time, IIRC, he'd found that only some Van Nuys TA's got built with the smaller bars. The belief here, is that for whatever reason, the larger bars did not get sent to Van Nuys in time for some of the TA's production. So rather than hold up the orders, the smaller bars were installed. My 0L106374 has these Formula bars. Interesting to notice that the Build Sheets did not make a distinction whether the TA was built with large or smaller bars. All that I've seen so far just have the same F41 suspension code.
I have documented several TA's with smaller sway bars myself. I know of one RAIV that was a Norwood car , built after the strike that came with smaller sway bars. Here is my theory. The goal of the production plant was to keep the cars moving. WHen they ran out of the larger bars(maybe delivery delays, third party supplier problems etc)they just used the smaller bars.They fit and would allow the line to keep moving. I had heard at one time these type of problems were supposed to be corrected at the delivering dealer.I have seen,and sure others have, a picture with a TA on a production line that is missing the nose bird. Similar deal,probably ran out of bird decals that day. Keep the line moving and let the delivering dealer correct items like this. We have to remember how inefficent GM was in the 1970's, just like guys who swear a car is incorrect unless all the parts are dated with in 1-2 months of production.. If only GM was that efficient back then. So these cars with incorrect sway bars, is nothing more than a testament to GM's sloppy parts ordering,they ran out and used what would keep the line moving...

Old 11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajunkman View Post
I recall a thread where someone here had posted about some type of extra flap that bolts up in the rear quarter wheel well. The poster showed pics of some NOS ones. Does anyone know what Im talking about? I think it was an early 70 deal too.
Will, what you are talking about was a mud flap that is on the rear of the rear axles wheel wells.It kept mud from hitting the tail pipes.My 1970 TA still have one side, the other is long done.. they were made of the same material that the front engine compartment flaps were made of.Problem is they were held togather with 3 slip on clips that fell off quite easily. Maybe I will send one I mine and see if "Norwood" would care to repo thise clips..??EMail me and I can send you a picture of the original flap I have..

Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Bill, I think this is what you guys are talking about, and please excuse my stupid from this morning. Old age and CRS ! I meant to say the clock knob [not trip knob].
Regards Bruce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fender flap.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	148970  

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill or anybody have a pic of one of those flaps istalled on their car?

Last edited by Norwood; 11-19-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure I posted pics of flaps/clips here a year or so ago.

I'll have to look for the thread or pics to repost.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Bill or anybody have a pic of one of those flaps istalled on their car?
Craig-
One of my cars still has the passengers side intact .I will get some pictures. If you wnat...I can take one of teh clips off and you send to you . I am more than confident that if anyone can repo these clips..It will be you.. Let me know and I will send it this week.

P.S>. any word on the flang??

Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNMTGOAT View Post
Hi Bill, I think this is what you guys are talking about, and please excuse my stupid from this morning. Old age and CRS ! I meant to say the clock knob [not trip knob].
Regards Bruce.
Yep Bruce...that would be it.. How great is that assembly manual??? We are so lucky those were saved. The Chevy guys,from what I have been told, don't have these assembly manuals..

Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Am sure someone mentioned the exclusive '70 1/2 low back seats, but have yet to see where anyone mentioned the '70 1/2 only seat tracks.

Searching through original dated early '70 Master parts books, one will see different part numbers for the bare Firebird doors, with the '70 1/2 doors having their own parts numbers. Have doors from every year, '70 1/2 through '74, need to closely examine the interior stamping on all of them very closely.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found IT!
Almost exactly a year ago,to the day.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ter+deflectors

Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

..your pics are only the 2nd metal tailpanel I've seen. Interesting to notice that, just like the other, the 4th character in the cast number is unclear. Can you make it out? I see 981x48
The potmetal rear panel part number is 9813148. The small 31 is stamped over what appeared to be a 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR PANEL-VIN 002.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	149036  

Old 11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It appears that the 5th character is a "strike" to obliterate /eliminate the number underneath?

That would make the # read 981348 which does NOT show up in my 67-75 Firebird MPC.

The "strike" could be taken for a 7,which would give us 9813748 which does NOT show up in the parts book either.

981148 DOES,but it's tow ball (trailer hitch accessory)

P/N listed in parts book is Group # 12.966 Rear end finish panel assembly 9851259 1970-73 ALL F.
(I am assuming this is the plastic one)

Last edited by 2manyT/A'S; 11-20-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess that panel didn't stick around long enough to get a number in the parts catalog. I like the little fisher coach logo Its hard to see in the picture because my camera doesn't do close ups well. Thats an excuse to get a new one !!