67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-04-2000, 04:43 PM

Hi all,
I'm new here, but I believe this looks like the place to be.
I have a 69 Firebird convertible that has some very confusing features. I am hoping the experts here might be able to shed some light for me.
-The car has orange rectangle rear qtr markers. I thought they are supposed to be birds, or at least red in color. Was this car possibly repaired with Camaro rear qtrs at sometime or could this car be an early or late year production?
- The console (according to the Pontiac assoc. build sheet, was originally ordered) appears to a 69 Camaro w/T-handle. Did GM also use this console on some Firebirds? None of my Pontiac parts catalogs list any of the consoles parts but the Camaro catalogs do.
- The steering column does not have the lock feature. Was it probably just replaced with an earlier year or did some of the 69's get out of the factory without the lock feature?
- I haven't read the year stamp yet and the car was built with a TH400 but the block is coded WT?
- One last thing, I ordered a replacement front spoiler. The company claims it is the same spoiler as the Camaros. However, it doesn't match the one currently on my car. Were the Camaro and Firebird spoilers for a 69 exactly the same?
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to be here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2000, 04:43 PM

Hi all,
I'm new here, but I believe this looks like the place to be.
I have a 69 Firebird convertible that has some very confusing features. I am hoping the experts here might be able to shed some light for me.
-The car has orange rectangle rear qtr markers. I thought they are supposed to be birds, or at least red in color. Was this car possibly repaired with Camaro rear qtrs at sometime or could this car be an early or late year production?
- The console (according to the Pontiac assoc. build sheet, was originally ordered) appears to a 69 Camaro w/T-handle. Did GM also use this console on some Firebirds? None of my Pontiac parts catalogs list any of the consoles parts but the Camaro catalogs do.
- The steering column does not have the lock feature. Was it probably just replaced with an earlier year or did some of the 69's get out of the factory without the lock feature?
- I haven't read the year stamp yet and the car was built with a TH400 but the block is coded WT?
- One last thing, I ordered a replacement front spoiler. The company claims it is the same spoiler as the Camaros. However, it doesn't match the one currently on my car. Were the Camaro and Firebird spoilers for a 69 exactly the same?
Thanks everyone. I'm happy to be here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2000, 05:45 PM

what do you mean the coloumn doesn't have a lock feature? is the key on the coloumn or the dash? if on the coloumn then the lock probably has been removed/ disabled.
it sounds to me like the car may have camaro 1/4's,look in the trunk up near the top of the 1/4 and see if there is a seam visible. all the 69's had bird lights according to the obsolete parts book that we had at the dealer.
as for the console / shifter could it be a 2-speed unit that has been converted to match the th400?
if the letter codes are correct and the engine is a 69 unit, according to the 69 serv. manual it is a 350hp 400ci ,manual trans,out of a tempest or gto. the firebird didn't use that designation[ according to the book]. personally i wouldn't put a lot of faith in the letter code as i've seen numerous cars with the wrong codes in origional engine cars. it seems that they used what they had on hand. the block should have the vin stamped on it. this will be located on the pass side just below the water pump outlet by the timing cover. hopefully this will help you out. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-08-2000, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Mike in thatYou have Camaro rear quarters. As for the console, they were pretty much the same between camaro and Firebird except the birds had a steel cover over the front portion on the console after 67. This had the wood grain applique over it. As for the shift lock, has the linkage been removed from the lower column just below engine side of the firewall? There should be a bellcrank there with another rod going back to the trans.
On the "chin" spoiler, they did not come on the 69 TA or firebird. They should have been on the Bird and TA because of front end lift at high speed.

[This message has been edited by steveK (edited 05-11-2000).]

Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Default CONVERTIBLE 1/4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveK View Post
I agree with Mike in thatYou have Camaro rear quarters. As for the console, they were pretty much the same between camaro and Firebird except the birds had a steel cover over the front portion on the console after 67. This had the wood grain applique over it. As for the shift lock, has the linkage been removed from the lower column just below engine side of the firewall? There should be a bellcrank there with another rod going back to the trans.
On the "chin" spoiler, they did not come on the 69 TA or firebird. They should have been on the Bird and TA because of front end lift at high speed.

[This message has been edited by steveK (edited 05-11-2000).]
JUST HAD A 1969 FIREBIRD CONVERTIBLE COME BY THAT A FRIEND BOUGHT WITH CAMARO 1/4S TIME TO GET OUT THE CUT OF WHEEL AND WELDER