67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default What's the closet modern paint color to the orig. black Firewall eng. comp. 68 F ?

I have a 68' Firebird & I want to have my engine compartment repainted while the drivetrain is out.
Any help is appreciated.,,,,,,,,,,,,Doug

Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't really know the correct answer, but years ago I was told semi gloss black. That's what I painted mine with but don't like it. I think the flat black and glossy black both look better.Just my humble opinion.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used gm chassis black.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

I used Napa underhood black for the sheet metal parts; firewall, inner fenders, etc. And Napa chassis black for the subframe and the heater box. Probably not 100% correct, but I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2017, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like GM underhood black from Eastwood Co.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Edit. I used gm reconditioning paint.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use VHT Engine Enamel SP139 GM Stain Black. Covers well, very tough and applies nicely out of a spray can. Great match for underhood items.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 AM
Senior Chief

This was a recommendation in a popular Camaro restoration manual and I found it work out very well.

"Dupli Color has a spray paint that best matches the factory finish. Professional restorers prefer it because it’s easy to control the factory finish with its runs and defects. Spraying the firewall with a spray gun is much harder to control the paint, especially the overspray so late in the project process. The paint is from Dupli Color’s Acrylic Enamel premium general purpose paint line. The part number is DA 1603. It’s the only paint sprayed from a can on Henderson’s restorations, and the results are award winning."

Old 10-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
This was a recommendation in a popular Camaro restoration manual and I found it work out very well.

"Dupli Color has a spray paint that best matches the factory finish. Professional restorers prefer it because it’s easy to control the factory finish with its runs and defects. Spraying the firewall with a spray gun is much harder to control the paint, especially the overspray so late in the project process. The paint is from Dupli Color’s Acrylic Enamel premium general purpose paint line. The part number is DA 1603. It’s the only paint sprayed from a can on Henderson’s restorations, and the results are award winning."
I read the same article and painted my firewall with it earlier this summer. I had a bare body shell and started with a firewall that was stripped, primered and wet-sanded. Came out superb. It took about 3 1/2 cans including the top area under the cowl panel. Only caveat is that O-Reilly and Advance Auto generally only have one or two cans on the shelf, so you might want to order on-line..... or run around until you can buy enough of it.