67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 4 speed conversion problems

I'm in the process of converting my 67 to a 4 speed. I got a M20 and all the linkage and pedals from a guy that converted his 67 camaro to an auto. I was under the impression that the z-bar and linkage was the same between the 2. I got my new 400 in and had the clutch, z-bar, pedals, bellhousing, etc installed. I was trying to adjust the clutch when I found out that the z-bar will pop off the ball stud when the clutch is depressed. It seems that the counter shaft is too short and doesn't engage the ball stud enough when the nut is tightened down on the frame bracket. The frame bracket appears to be an aftermarket piece since it has a rubbery coating on it. What do I need to do?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Suspended

depends on how you mounted the frame bracket, you may just need the firebird z bar if the bracket is correct and mounted correctly? how about some pics???

Old 09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

I know there is a complete kit for clutch linkage made just for the 1st gen firebird. For less than $100 you would get the rods, pivot ball, frame mounting bracket, bellcrank, springs clips etc. It's real pain to track all this stuff down. At least you know with the kit all the parts match the application.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All the linkage parts I have including the frame bracket came off of a 67 camaro with a small block. I was under the impression that everything was the same for the firebird and camaro. How critical is it that the counter shaft is square to the block? I put a nut under the block ball stud to extend it out a little and then hooked everything back up. It seems like the counter shaft doesn't engage the ball stud exactly square. I rebuilt the z-bar before starting the project as well. Could the holes in my frame for the bracket be drilled wrong, placing the bracket in the wrong spot? Only the bottom 2 lined up with the bracket holes. I'm thinking by the way the counter shaft looks from underneth that I may have to move the bracket to get the geometry right.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

It seems 2 different kits are offered - 1 for small block and the other for big block applications. If you are using a pontiac motor chances are you will need the big block kit. Can anyone else confirm this?

Old 09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

very few of the parts for a SBC will be same
agree that for $100 get all the correct stuff.
Dont buy a BBC get one made for just the FIrebird.
Quit dealing with those Cheby guys.
Buy from a Pontiac source.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FYI,the pontiac guys sell the wrong stuff also for 69 birds!Tom

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I called NPD and they said the part # for the z-bar for the SB Chevy and the firebird are the same 67-69. I kind of had a brain fart when I first noticed this problem. I have the motor angled down in the rear slightly to give me more room for gettig the clutch adjusted, trans mounted, etc. So the motor isn't sitting in its final location after the trans is installed and on the cross member. I would imagine after everything is in its final place the geometry of the clutch linkage will change.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:33 PM

The z-bar bracket on a 67 Firebird is different than a 68 or 69. I bought a repo that was suppose to fit 67 - 69 but it did not line up to my 3 bolt holes. to make it fit and line up correctly I was going to have to drill new holes. I started looking at my subframe ( factory auto car )and the three factory holes were all ready tapped. I didn't want to drill new ones and I thought the factory did this for a reason. I started looking at this bracket on 67 cars at car shows and noticed the shape and hole location was different on the 67 cars. I bought a 67 400 4spd parts car and removed its bracket. It bolted up perfectly. By using the 67 bracket my z-bar lined up and worked great. If you need a picture send me a PM. The 67 is more rectangular the 68-69 looks like a boot shape
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03571[2].JPG
Views:	39
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	144791