The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

Howdy. New member here.

I’m the 3rd owner of a ’66 that until January, 2001, lived in Nevada and was totally rust free. I live in So. Florida on the ocean so it’s important to me to find ways to reduce/eliminate rust developing. I’m asking for opinions and/or experiences with any of the following items suggested to me as rust preventors or anything else you may have tried that worked. Ok, here goes;

1. Husky Bar Chain Oil: made by Husqvarna for chain saws. Contains OSPHO (that kills rust) and a paraffin wax (that coats metal). Gets sprayed on
2. Apply OSPHO followed by brushing on ROOFING TAR ! ! (That's right)
3. Ziebart rustproofing.
4. POR: A great product but I understand that in order to work properly rust must exist because it must interact with it in order to work properly
5. A product called Electro-Shield. (This I actually bought and installed). It’s supposed to electrically break up the corrosion process.
NOTE: I actually called and spoke to 2 people they list as satisfied customers. Both swear by it and one has, in my opinion, real impressive credentials. He’s the retired head of Naval Maintenance for the DOD on Guam ( In God We Trust….In Guam We Rust ). Nice guy. Says he and his buddy bought new jeeps at the same time and his friend had this device installed by the dealer while he got some undercoating product. After 7 years his jeep looked like Swiss cheese and his friends just had the nicks and dents from being used. My concern is that the manufacturer (who I also called) says that on metal that isn’t galvanized, as is probably the case with a car as old as mine, it may not work as well if at all. I figured for $100 I’d take the chance but I sure would like to hear if anyone has any long term experience with this product so I'd know if this is a waste or time or not. I’d appreciate knowing.

All opinions and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, RG

Old 04-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Senior Chief

Howdy. New member here.

I’m the 3rd owner of a ’66 that until January, 2001, lived in Nevada and was totally rust free. I live in So. Florida on the ocean so it’s important to me to find ways to reduce/eliminate rust developing. I’m asking for opinions and/or experiences with any of the following items suggested to me as rust preventors or anything else you may have tried that worked. Ok, here goes;

1. Husky Bar Chain Oil: made by Husqvarna for chain saws. Contains OSPHO (that kills rust) and a paraffin wax (that coats metal). Gets sprayed on
2. Apply OSPHO followed by brushing on ROOFING TAR ! ! (That's right)
3. Ziebart rustproofing.
4. POR: A great product but I understand that in order to work properly rust must exist because it must interact with it in order to work properly
5. A product called Electro-Shield. (This I actually bought and installed). It’s supposed to electrically break up the corrosion process.
NOTE: I actually called and spoke to 2 people they list as satisfied customers. Both swear by it and one has, in my opinion, real impressive credentials. He’s the retired head of Naval Maintenance for the DOD on Guam ( In God We Trust….In Guam We Rust ). Nice guy. Says he and his buddy bought new jeeps at the same time and his friend had this device installed by the dealer while he got some undercoating product. After 7 years his jeep looked like Swiss cheese and his friends just had the nicks and dents from being used. My concern is that the manufacturer (who I also called) says that on metal that isn’t galvanized, as is probably the case with a car as old as mine, it may not work as well if at all. I figured for $100 I’d take the chance but I sure would like to hear if anyone has any long term experience with this product so I'd know if this is a waste or time or not. I’d appreciate knowing.

All opinions and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, RG

Old 04-29-2002, 11:24 PM

I was going to try Corroless (sp?) from Eastwood for areas I will paint over. (From Old Car Garage on Hemmings). Muscle Car Garage seems to use a product called Krown, a Canadian manufactured product I believe, however I haven't found a distributor around here. For hard to see, reach, your not sure, areas I plan on using Corrosion X, a product I am familiar with from aviation days and available at a pilot shop or local FBO. It would need to be resprayed every couple of years.

Jon

Old 04-30-2002, 08:34 AM
Senior Chief

Jonj,

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, what's an FBO?

Thanks, RG

Old 04-30-2002, 09:48 AM

RG, Sorry. An FBO (Fixed Base Operator) is an aircraft maintainence facility at your local airport. Jonj