Old 11-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Did I do my 1 wire alternator right?

The day I bought my car my Dakata Digital gauges said I was charging at a solid 14.8v going down the highway. This was with a original type alternator using the voltage regulator on the firewall.

The next morning my voltage regulator started failing, I barely made it to an auto parts store., was at 7.2v when I rolled in lol. They didn't have the voltage regulator so they sold me a 1 wire alternator with an internal voltage regulator. Napa brand, 73 amp. Ever since then the most I've ever seen out of it was 13.2/4 but mostly it is 12.8 or so. At idle it's junk and at 2K rpm it still kinda sucks. At night with my lights on, I only get like 11 or less, it's terrible. My battery is brand new by the way and has been a champ, still tests great. I've been treating the battery nice with a good 2amp auto charger.

I got in touch with Powermaster Performance, they recommended this unit which will put out 100amp at idle:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-47293

They said I need to run a 6ga positive wire to the battery and also a 6ga negative to my block.

The previous owner did a 8ga wire from the alternator to a remote starter solenoid then a 4ga from that to the battery. Nothing from the alternator housing to the block, only grounded by the bracket to the water pump.

I'm thinking before I buy the Powermaster, I should replace the 8ga wire with a 6ga to the starter solenoid, and install a 6ga ground from the alternator housing to the block. - Where on the block is the best place for this? An intake bolt?

Thanks!

Alex

Old 11-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6 Ga. will help, but the best thing would be to use a alternator 3 wire configuration. Perhpas yours can be reconfigured.

With the 3 wire config, the reg keeps the voltage constant at the sense point, which is usually at the battery or somewhere in the battery harness.

The 1 wire keeps the alternator output regulated but there are voltage drops in the harness so the voltage downstream ends up being less, which is what you observed.

George

Old 11-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see, gotcha! That makes sense.

Ok so I just bought a new voltage regulator locally and I'm off to the garage to replace my bad one and put the previous alternator back on.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Problem: At the alternator where the connector plugs in with the 2 wires, my connector disintegrated and one of the spades fell off. I have put new spades on the wires but which wire goes where?

When I have the alternator in the correct upright position, I have a black wire with a stripe and a green wire. Which goes to the left (drivers side) and which does to the right (passenger side)??????

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2016, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This a 69 Bird?

Diagram shows blck with white stripe and a blue wire?

The blue may have faded to green?

The alternator have 'R' and 'F' on the plug area?
The regulator usually has a 'F' on one of the terminals.

That wire goes to the 'R' on alternator.

Off hand I would say the black/white stripe goes to the 'F' terminal (right side?), the other goes to the 'R' terminal (left side)?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No markings at all around the plug area on the alternator

The other wire could be a blue yeah lol, could be my eyes. The regulator does have an F on one of the terminals. The F terminal from the regulator is the blue/green wire for sure.

Can anyone confirm which side the the F terminal blue/green wire goes on the alternator?

I'd hate to fry this puppy haha!

Alex

Old 11-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at the back of the alt with the plug cavity up, the left terminal is "R" (should be the wht/blk wire) and the right terminal is "F" (should be the blue wire0)

Do a Google search for "Delco-Remy 10DN alternator" and you will find several images of the alt.

George

Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BINGO! You guys are awesome!

She has risen fully from the ashes! I've repaired now ALL of the damage from the fire that occurred driving her home from Texas last week. What a mess. All the sections of wire have been replaced, everything works again now as it should, and no permanent damage was done to anything thankfully.

Going back to the previous alternator with a new voltage regulator sure did the trick! Even at idle the charge is 14.6-7 now!

Here is a pic of her, she thanks all of you!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice!

Is the hood tach factory?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-10-2016, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No but it's the correct low profile one for 69. I went to great lengths to trim the hood in the factory location, get all the proper reproduction wiring, plug it into the factory plug under the dash, get the right decal for the bottom, etc. etc.