The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-21-2002, 09:18 AM

I'm looking to get a new air compressor for my garage, and I need some recomendations on brand and size. I want to be set up to paint, what size tank will I need? I understand that there is a minimum size tank you need to paint, and I know my compressor now is to small. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2002, 09:18 AM

I'm looking to get a new air compressor for my garage, and I need some recomendations on brand and size. I want to be set up to paint, what size tank will I need? I understand that there is a minimum size tank you need to paint, and I know my compressor now is to small. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2002, 10:41 AM

The size of your compressor is sort of like the size of your shop. No matter how big you get it, you will always find you should have gotten it bigger.

You need to decide up front what you are going to do with it. Right now you may decide that you are only going to spray with it. In which case the little Sears roll-around 3 HP units are enough. But then you will decide you need a D/A sander and maybe a cut-off tool or a die grinder and you will find that the 3 horse can't really handle it, so you upgrade to a 5 horse single stage and it's great. That is until you decide that a sandblaster would be just the ticket. Guess what? The single stage won't quite handle it. So you upgrade to a 2-stage unit. See where I'm going?

The 3 horse, pull around will cost you in the neighborhood of $300 and will put out about 9 or 10 cfm at 120 psi. The two-stage (such as a DeVilbis) will put out about 17 cfm at 175 psi and will handle a sand blaster or a bead blaster continously (or at least till you get tired and need to take a break) and run around $650. If you can afford it, go for the big one and you will save money and hassle in the long run by not having to upgrade several times (voice of experience, Sears 3 horse, 1985, Sanborn Single Stage 1991, Devilbis 2-stage 1996).

As to tank size, there is really no minimum size needed. If the compressor can produce the cfm at the pressure you need, then you don't even need a tank. The tank does two things. (1) it keeps the compressor from running continously, and (2) it provides a little "surge volume" so that if once and a while you exceed the compressor's capacity for a short period, you can keep going without losing too much pressure. That all said the tank should be about 3 to 5 times (in gallons) the cubic feet the compressor will put out in a minute (a 10 cfm compressor should have about a 30 to 50 gallons). If you note, the roll-around ones have a little too small of tank for that thumb-rule. My DeVilbis has a 80 gallon tank.

Ed

[ March 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ed Neasham ]</p>

Old 03-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

DO NOT buy the $300 model. The cheap compressors have a duty cycle which restricts the motor usage to 1\2 hour of run-time per hour. Some of the guts of the motor are plastic and will fail if used beyond their duty cycle. Mine broke before I reached the duty cycle limit. Spend the extra $ for one that can be used continuously, you won't regret it.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:27 AM

Thanks guys, I think the 2 stage type is gonna be what I need. It sounds like I'll be able to do anything I need with it. If I can run a D/A sander, and be able to paint, it should be able to handle anything else I'll need it for. That is a good point, that the roll arounds tanks are to small for the motor. I'm gonna shop around and I'll let you know. Thanks.

Old 03-23-2002, 01:40 AM
Senior Chief

Just a little note of advice I didn't see covered in the other posts! Noise level can be a factor too! I would reccomend over and above the other advice you stick to belt drive! They are much quieter than the "oiless" motors!

Old 03-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

ed makes some excellent points. always better to spend the $ now and get a decent piece of equipment. a good compressor should last 10-12yrs at the minumum. and if it's a GOOD one with a brand name, you can rebuild the unit and it will live on.
don't forget you need several things to be ready to use your unit.
1) filters, moisture seperators
2) regulators
3) plumbing of the air away from the compressor to make it work. (that's a subject in itselt to plumb it right with water traps, etc.)

remember, do it once and do it right!

Old 03-23-2002, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The comment about an air compressor never being large enough rings true. We finally installed 2 six HP units and run them together. Too much air capacity (at least for now), and so far both have not failed simultaneously, meaning the shop always has air. Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a little rule of thumb for compressor size.

If all your doing is light work. i/e blowing off parts, and spot painting a small area.
A 3 hp. compressor with a 5 gallon tank will do.

If you want to be able to use air tool such as sanders,grinders, impact wrenches, etc.
a 5 hp. compressor with a 60-80 gallon tank is the minimun.

If you go with a stationary design compressor.
I'd recommend plumbing the intake filter "outdoors"
If you do this, you'll have a much more efficient working compressor.
Since the air right above a compressor heats from the moving parts.
Having the intake outside, the building will allow for cooler, cleaner air to be used.
Less water,heat,longer life will be the benifits.

The ultimate compressor's are the new "rotary" pump designs.
With these bad boys, tanks are optional and only necessary if more then 1 person is using the air at the same time.
Think Supercharger, and you'll have an idea of what a "rotary" compressor is.
They are the quietest compressor on the market.
BUT!!! they'll set you back something like $2k

Old 03-28-2002, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After getting tired of replacing reed valves in our 5hp Sandborn, 60 gall tank, I bought a 6hp, 3 cyl. Eagle single stage compressor 60 gal tank 2 years ago. Puts out something like 15cfm at 90psi. Runs all the air tools, sanders and the HVLP gun we have. Charges up fast, cuts in at 110 and cuts out at 140. Would have bought a Devilvis but this was less than half the price and seemed very adequate for the home shop. No complaints so far. alan

Old 04-01-2002, 10:55 PM

I too have an Eagle compressor and love it. It's made in Canada and well made at that. The only problem I have had was the set screws in the pulley on the drive motor were left loose and threw the belt but nothing a little lock tite couldnt cure. I have been using it to paint my 65 GTO with a Sharpe HVLP that uses 13.1 cfm and the Eagle has been doing just fine. NOTE...That is also being piped through a F88 Sharpe Drier and still does fine even with the air restriction.
Thanks, Steve

Old 04-01-2002, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed & Marty covered it pretty d@mn good!

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH COMPRESSOR!

I just locked my home compressor up on my 5HP Craftsman unit. I've had it 14 years & ran the piss out of it. Frankly, I'm amazed it lasted this long!
Got three LeRoi rotary compressors at work & one 185 CFM I/R. Those LeRoi's kick serious @ss!
They'll press up a 20 ton Schmidt silo blast system in about 3 minutes.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check it out!

Home Depot is discontinuing Ingersoll-Rand industrial compressors.

Old 04-03-2002, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check it out!

Home Depot is discontinuing Ingersoll-Rand industrial compressors.

I just bought a regularly $899.00 two-stage, 80 gallon, verticle, total cast iron unit that'll put out 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI; on sale for $674.00.
I got an additional 10% as it was the last one they had. $607.00 before taxes!!!
This is one @ss-kickin' compressor! Took 5 of us to unload it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
My wife just about *****!

Old 04-05-2002, 08:42 AM

Holy sh-t, I'm gonna have to check that out, I'm just wondering if I have enough room for it. It sounds like a monster.

Old 04-14-2002, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The model # of mine is TS5N5R. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2002, 08:30 PM

Larry, I looked at that one the other day. It is one hell of nice compressor, I just don't have the room for that one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I'm gonna go with one of the smaller models just not sure which one yet. Thanks for the info.