The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-10-2002, 12:43 AM

I purchased a new trunk pan and have a welder that will cut the old out and place the new in. How do I prep for this?

Old 03-10-2002, 12:43 AM

I purchased a new trunk pan and have a welder that will cut the old out and place the new in. How do I prep for this?

Old 03-10-2002, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ak 71 Goat, call me some time and we can shoot the bull, 344-3964. I'm usually home by 4:30 during the week, and all weekend if I'm not shopping. If you like beer I've always got some. I'll tell you how to get here when you call.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 04-16-2002, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I am in the midst of doing this job as well. First, remove the fuel tank! Then measure where the fuel tank supports and body braces will go. Use the new panel to get an idea of where the lines will be. Cut out the middle of the old trunk, leaving a few inches around all sides (you willl fine tune the measurements later so leave a few extra inches from where the weld will be!). In the rear area, make this initial cut a few inches down from the ledge. Look at it from the bottom and you'll see why. There is a body brace under there. Once the center part of the old panel is removed, you can then stand in the middle of the trunk area to drill the spot welds, which is MUCH easier than bending over from the back of the car and there is less chance of messing them up. The rear portion by the tail light panel has two brackets that attach from the taillight panel to the floor. I ground the attaching weld down (really crude, btw...it'll be easy to reproduce!) and then used a cut off wheel to cut the remaining part of the old panel off the brace on both sides. Strip the remaining metal bare, and look for spot welds and drill them out (there are about 5000 of them in the panel that attaches the floor to the lower quarter!!!), removing the metal as you go. Be very careful in the wheel well area, as there are a bunch of panels that attach in the same area. Mine are pretty well rotted, so I will have to fabricate patches in the lower wells anyway. This is as far as I've gotten on mine today!

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"