Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wenzler Series 2 heads

Is anyone using these successfully, any known problems with them on recent batches,
how do they stack up to E heads and KRE HP.? They seem like a bargain for $1100 bare per pair. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Carlquist Competition in CT has a cnc program for them.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wenzler series 2 series needs either Crane gold series or Yella Tera rocker arms as I own a set from KRE a while back.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

'73, why do they need these makes of rockers? Is it a clearance issue? I ask because I have a couple of sets of Scorpions I want to use.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your in need of Exh flow numbers above 210 cfm without dropping off low lift flow numbers then the Round port E heads are a much better casting to start off with!

The Exh port short turn height in the Wensler heads are too darn low for my liking in terms of what I want in a aftermarket head!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-16-2020, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Steve, these heads would be used on my turbo combo so I'm assuming exhaust flow numbers won't be as important. How do the intake ports stack up against others? Wenzlers info says the pushrod angle is moved (splayed) 2 degrees to minimize the size of the pushrod bulge - is this 2 degrees of any real use?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, it helps, but when porting the heads you need to keep working that to your advantage.

You have not posted what your looking for in terms of flow numbers, but the last set I did started out at only 265 Intake cfm, not the advertised 280.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-16-2020, 08:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Taff, I'm not 100 percent sure why, maybe the length of the rocker arms? When I bought the heads from KRE, he told me to send him my rockers so that he can make sure it works. I also tested the Yella Tera as I have bought one of those too. I have never own any other brands. Just passing the info that Jeff told me 20 yrs ago. I now run Eheads WP. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The intake ports benefit from the pushrod hole being moved over. You can get the exhaust ports to flow pretty good (270 cfm plus) or more with a big exhaust valve. The castings are generally soft and that might cause issues with a forced induction engine. It takes a lot of work to get them to make good power. IMO they require a shaft rocker set up, that has been mentioned previously... We have always used T&D.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, I would be happy for the time being with the advertised 288 cfm-but maybe that figure is with a bowl clean up etc. I don't mind doing a quick clean up and bowl blend but don't have the time to fully port heads- I have a mild worked over set of 7H1 heads that I started on, but the port match to the Gutsram is poor and to open the heads to the manifold would certainly break through the roof of the port.
The soft castings may be a problem though as Paul mentioned, I intend on 25 psi of boost and intend trying out Cometics head gaskets so that could be an issue.. Thanks all for your info.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Steve, I would be happy for the time being with the advertised 288 cfm-but maybe that figure is with a bowl clean up etc. I don't mind doing a quick clean up and bowl blend but don't have the time to fully port heads- I have a mild worked over set of 7H1 heads that I started on, but the port match to the Gutsram is poor and to open the heads to the manifold would certainly break through the roof of the port.
The soft castings may be a problem though as Paul mentioned, I intend on 25 psi of boost and intend trying out Cometics head gaskets so that could be an issue.. Thanks all for your info.
One of the cool things about Wenzler heads is you can call and talk to the man who designs and makes them. No better source than that. Give him a call and talk to him. Tell him what you plan to do with the heads and see if he thinks some additional heat treat may be needed or other modifications to work best for you. You could certainly get with him by e-mail if unable to talk directly.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No experience on Series two heads but I've worked on their SC versions... ditto on soft aluminum. Pretty poor overall machine work on them plus the deck was a little too thin for my taste, not sure how many cuts they have had but it seemed scary thin to me for a turbo deal....

I bought bare E-heads shipped to Iceland for $1535 through Summit in January.... Don't forget our overseas shipping Paul ! I went that route after going through BS with Speedmaster on their black friday sale.

Kris.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've already talked to Larry via email, but as with any product-the manufacturer is not going to bring up the weak points of the design, it's always best to get as much real world info as possible. So far I've had two customers say the material is soft, is this softer than ,say, eheads? As I know these also have a problem with head bolts/studs sinking into the area around the exhaust ports. A thin deck area would be a problem and no way of fixing that.
I know what you mean with the shipping Kris as I've been buying from the US for 15 years, the tax and duties are a killer! I've taken to arranging my own shipping labels which are emailed to the seller to stick on the package, so you can specify on the label what the parts are and 'how much they are worth', if you get my meaning.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The material is considerably softer than an Edelbrock head, GM LS1 head and a Tiger 2 head. It can be made harder, maybe I would ask Mr. Wenzler if that is an option on his end.

His combustion chambers are all the same, he just mills them to the desired CC.We always ordered the heads with an 85cc chamber and worked from there. That would leave you a somewhat thicker deck.

The issue with the nuts sinking into the ports can be solved by using a "top hat" insert and some extra material in that area when doing the port work.

Larry used to have a local shop that would do a decent mild port job at an economical price, you might want to inquire about that.

Sending your own shipping label is an excellent idea. I try to avoid shipping outside the USA because of the increased difficulty. I try my best to ship it and describe the parts the correct way to avoid charges on the other end. You would be surprised how often the fellow receiving the parts on the other end waits until after the shipping label is printed to tell you "be sure to use this shipper and describe the parts as such" ..... It's a PIA until you've done it several times.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The material is considerably softer than an Edelbrock head, GM LS1 head and a Tiger 2 head. It can be made harder, maybe I would ask Mr. Wenzler if that is an option on his end.

His combustion chambers are all the same, he just mills them to the desired CC.We always ordered the heads with an 85cc chamber and worked from there. That would leave you a somewhat thicker deck.

The issue with the nuts sinking into the ports can be solved by using a "top hat" insert and some extra material in that area when doing the port work.

Larry used to have a local shop that would do a decent mild port job at an economical price, you might want to inquire about that.

Sending your own shipping label is an excellent idea. I try to avoid shipping outside the USA because of the increased difficulty. I try my best to ship it and describe the parts the correct way to avoid charges on the other end. You would be surprised how often the fellow receiving the parts on the other end waits until after the shipping label is printed to tell you "be sure to use this shipper and describe the parts as such" ..... It's a PIA until you've done it several times.
Paul,

Is the soft material an issue in <12 to 1 compression normally aspirated engines? Ditto for sinking head bolts.

I understand that Larry is now machining the same combustion chamber in the II heads as the Super Chiefs. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Stuart

Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Paul,

Is the soft material an issue in <12 to 1 compression normally aspirated engines? Ditto for sinking head bolts.

I understand that Larry is now machining the same combustion chamber in the II heads as the Super Chiefs. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Stuart
I'm not sure if it's an "issue" but it'll burn through the head gaskets in the center between the exhaust valves faster than it would with a head that's of harder material. The sinking bolt holes are less of a problem.

Interesting about the Super Chief chamber in the Series 2 heads. I still buy manifolds from him but we haven't talked about his heads for several years.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Paul,

Thanks,

Stuart
I run 15.8 to 1 and no issues other than the general heat issues. I am the third owner so not sure if they have been heat treated. They do need inserts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43DD4223-AE87-49DA-806A-88675AFF6488.jpeg
Views:	565
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	537708  

Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Dan,

I see the "T" inserts for the exhaust side head bolts. Is this what you are referring to, or do the heads also need the inserts on the deck surface, between the center cylinders, like the Tigers?

Stuart

Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 AM

I ran the Wenzler 2's for 4-5 years on my 474. Yes the aluminum is a bit softer, yet I ran 13-1 comp. with no issues. Never had a head gasket failure, and I was spraying about 250hp through it. We did have a problem with valve seats staying centered in the heads though. Oh- and I used 1.65 Harland Sharp rockers with no issues.