Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a '03 Impala for 5 years and never replace the filter,I didn't know it had one

Old 10-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
But per the link, the Malibu ('07 anyway) does have the filter box and will accept the same filter as the Cobalt.

Any idea why they didn't INSTALL a cabin filter if they included a filter box?
Same reason a full size truck didnt get one for a bunch of years in the 2000's
They restrict the AC in areas of lots of dust, and cause service calls under warranty for ac issues.
for instance, my 2004 HD has the box, but you would have to cut the plastic to get a filter in, but the door is molded right on the box. Oddly enough they sell a filter for it because earlier models had a filter.

IF you add one, be SURE to check it every couple months.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked at Walmart and the Fram freshbreeze was $28!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Same reason a full size truck didnt get one for a bunch of years in the 2000's
They restrict the AC in areas of lots of dust, and cause service calls under warranty for ac issues.
for instance, my 2004 HD has the box, but you would have to cut the plastic to get a filter in, but the door is molded right on the box. Oddly enough they sell a filter for it because earlier models had a filter.

IF you add one, be SURE to check it every couple months.
Good point. In addition to the moldy smell, I also recall that I didn't understand why I was having to crank the blower speed up on the GP. I didn't initially connect it to the filter, I was afraid my blower was crapping out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue '66 View Post
Checked at Walmart and the Fram freshbreeze was $28!
Hmm, lucky you! According to the website, some Walmarts by me might have limited supply. Maybe some carry them and some don't? Wish my store still did.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Good point. In addition to the moldy smell, I also recall that I didn't understand why I was having to crank the blower speed up on the GP. I didn't initially connect it to the filter, I was afraid my blower was crapping out.

Hmm, lucky you! According to the website, some Walmarts by me might have limited supply. Maybe some carry them and some don't? Wish my store still did.
you can get walmart to ship to store, or home easily online

Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw my dauhgters BMW box and ship receipt in my garage trash can yesterday. She got it from JC Whitney....Beck Arnley-Cabin Air Filter...said MGF. in Germany.

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
you can get walmart to ship to store, or home easily online
I'm familiar with that. But when I checked that last week, the site said, in store only, no on-line ordering. My guess is that they are only selling stock on hand and will discontinue carrying them. Just not sure. They showed at my store as NA, but did indicate supposed availability at a couple nearby stores. But I think I was checking for the one Blue '66 needed, not the one for my GP so I'd have to check again.

ctgross, like I told my son, it isn't like BMW makes cabin filters. Bet the one your daughter got is from the "genuine" BMW supplier. I'll mention JC Whitney to him, maybe he'll save a few bucks next time. Thanks.