Old 05-15-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Hurst Shifter

I have the standard Hurst 4-speed shifter in my '68 GTO and got to thinking.....is the position of the shifter adjustable? I recall when I put a new clutch in a while back that when bolting up the shifter to the tailstock of the transmission, one of the bolts goes thru a slotted area. I put it back on the way I took it off (all the way over to one side of the slot) but I wonder about whether or not I should have, as the throw into first and third gear seems pretty long. If I moved it to the other side of the slot would the shifter change position so I wouldn't have to reach so far?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default hurst

Hey Wilma just curious did you ever adjust that shifter to see if it changes the throw? Woody.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 AM
Suspended

No the shifter throw is built into the shifter. If you want a shorter throw you'll need to buy a different shifter. The slot is thee to adjust where the body of the shifter sits on the trans. The old original shifters had a throw like trying to row a boat. When I went to the comp. plus shifter thethro went from 10 feet to about 2inchs. Time for a new shifter if you want a shorter throw.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Hurst Shifter Adjustment

Thanks for your replies. No, I never tried to adjust the way the shifter sits on the tailstock by moving it around in that slot; I put it back the way I found it which was all the way to one side with the shifter sitting approximately vertical. I figured that if I got under there and moved it to the other side of the slot it would also entail having to re-adjust the shift linkage although maybe that's not true. I know that I can't shorten the length of the throw from 1st to 2nd, but what I was wondering is if I moved the shifter to the other end of the slot would it bring the shift knob farther back in the console so I wouldn't have to reach so far for it when it is in neutral, or to shove it into 1st? While not shortening the length of the throw it might bring the entire pattern closer to me. Maybe I haven't explained that real well....

Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Suspended

Yes , It will move it a Little bit farther back but probley not as far as you might need. The only thing yu can do is try it & see if it moves it enough for you to reach it better. But it will move it back a bit.