Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting never used JB weld for this. Neighbor showed me how to oxy-acet weld up a Pontiac deep sump oil pan in the 60's using of all things coat hanger-yes it worked.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How did you repair the leak?

I am considering first trying JB weld or Ultra Black Silicone on mine. Need to get it really clean first. The problem it's in an area in between the crossmember and the pan and is difficult to get access to. (a bracket somehow got lodged in between and wore a hole in the pan)

The alternative is to lift the engine, pull the pan and braze it shut.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Default pinhole in oil pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
How did you repair the leak?

I am considering first trying JB weld or Ultra Black Silicone on mine. Need to get it really clean first. The problem it's in an area in between the crossmember and the pan and is difficult to get access to. (a bracket somehow got lodged in between and wore a hole in the pan)

The alternative is to lift the engine, pull the pan and braze it shut.
i used jb weld drained oil and flushed with 2 cans of carb cleaner through oil pan plug.scufed outer pan with 220,cleaned with alcohol let dry over night and used jb weld.seem to work fine.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mig welding the pan on the car will cause the hole to open up like a zipper because of the oil inside.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Suspended

Replace the pan it can be done without taking the engine out & you will fell a lot better about having a new pan on the one that has a bunch of weld spots on it. Plus it doesn't cost that much. REPLACE IT.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For all the work you have to go through to change it in chassis it's just as easy to pull the engine, I have done it probably 5 times in chassis and it's the worst oil pan removal that I have ever attempted. That was the reason for this thread, to find and easier way, safely to repair the pan as opposed to pulling the engine, or doing a pan R&R in chassis.

The JB weld is a perfectly fine way to repair it in chassis as long as its clean and dry before the application. I would not use black silicone as it never hardens.

Post # 23 is the proper procedure for a JB weld repair and the repair should last as long as the car. There is no pressure on the oil and the temperature is well within the parameters of JB weld limitations. I have used JB weld to repair the tubes on an aluminum radiator which have pressure and heat and the repair was in place for over 8 years and was still fine when I scrapped the car. That being said I have no problem using it for a permanent repair on an oil pan with the utmost confidence. JB weld or other like epoxies are an accepted method to repair aluminum radiators and should have no problems repairing a hole in an oil pan, as the conditions are less demanding than a radiator repair.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 AM

My son's El Camino had a hole in the oil pan so we drained the oil, cleaned the surface with brake kleen, sanded the area, let it sit over night. I mig welded the hole very slowly, let it cool and put JB weld over top. It has been 2 weeks and the concrete is still clean. Just my 2 cents..