Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Ammo quality

Question for all you shooters out there.

Are there any brands of ammo to stay away from?
I've heard that the CC1 Blazers (aluminum jacketed) are crap, so I stay away from those.

Is Wolf brand any good? Supposedly they have a coating that some people do not like.

What about Aguila?

Looking for FMJ .45 target rounds, and I found a web site that has the Wolf and Aguila fairly cheap (under 30 cents per round).

Old 10-11-2012, 11:28 AM

I like CCIs rimfire stuff, but not their centerfire stuff.

I use Wolf 7.62 x 39 exclusively in my AK... It's been great for many thousand rounds and I've never had any trouble with it. I have used Wolf .223 in a Daewoo 200... no problem there, either. I really like Wolf target grade 22LR, but I haven't seen it for sale in years.

I like Aguila as well. Haven't been able to buy that around here for years, either.

For 9mm, .40S&W, & .45ACP factory reloads, I've shot many thousands of rounds of Miwall Corp. stuff, and I can't remember ever having any issue with it. http://www.miwallcorp.com/index.php?route=common/home

I save my spent brass for relaoding, but haven't loaded anything in several years. I don't get to the target range as much as I used to. With the price of ammo these days, I can reload even 9mm cheaper than buying relaods if I don't count the cost of the Dillon reloading equipment in my figures.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
Question for all you shooters out there.

Are there any brands of ammo to stay away from?
I've heard that the CC1 Blazers (aluminum jacketed) are crap, so I stay away from those.

Is Wolf brand any good? Supposedly they have a coating that some people do not like.

What about Aguila?

Looking for FMJ .45 target rounds, and I found a web site that has the Wolf and Aguila fairly cheap (under 30 cents per round).
You're using an XD if I remember correctly. Excellent weapon BTW, but those cheap rounds can go either way for you. Best to try them before commiting to large orders and see how it goes. I never had any prob's with brass but when I fed my XD steel cased rounds I had trouble so I don't use them. Nothing wrong with trying those rounds out and seeing what happens for you though...Now if you begin having feeding issues that's one thing, but if you have rounds that didn't go bang sitting in the chamber that's a whole different safety issue...stop using them after that...don't forget to wait at least 15-20 seconds with it pointing down range as it may still fire under these circumstances...the nice thing about an XD is that you KNOW there's a round in the chamber before pulling the trigger and can identify the problem right away..I'd love to hear what your results are if you do try those rounds.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, an XD-45, tactical (5" barrel).

I've only ever ran Remmington's UMCs thru there without any jam or issue.

The Wolf brand claim to be "bi-metal" jacketed. I cannot find any info if this means a steel case with a copper or brass flash casing.

What about Aguila? They claim (in CAPSLOCK no less) that their rounds contain no steel whatsoever.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
What about Aguila? They claim (in CAPSLOCK no less) that their rounds contain no steel whatsoever.
Personally never fired Aguila but I wouldn't hesitate trying it. I just talked to my brother...he has...no problems...made in Mexico at the old Rem plant.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Aguila is said to be undercharged a bit in some calibers.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We shoot with a XD45C / G30 /G21. I use either Lawman or WWB. Both are trusted quality ammunition and have good brass cases with consistent powders and projectiles. For Rifles I stick with Winchester and Black Hills for the AR-10 and Prvi M193 for the AR15.

Wolf sucks

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM

I load my own. Custom recipes for different shooting circumstances, such as dueling tree or pin shoots.

"Buffy" 1969 Firebird vert (mine) Not a clean one owner. Born Carousel Red, 350 2bbl, A/T, P/S, P/B, A/C. Now, Primer gray. Will have a 400, 5 sp, P/S, P/B, A/C, Black with carousel red pin stripes.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Goatboy, FYI....

Tried an "experiment" with my XD yesterday...field stripped it and left it oiled pretty wet (more than normal) and picked up 100 rounds of steel cased...no FTF problems..not a single one. Only thing that was different with those rounds was a few hesitations when racking the slide as it came forward like it was getting hung up...one time I had to force it forward but it DID feed. Then ran 150 brass rounds through it like butter...BTW .40 cal 4 inch....
Also, I've been shooting my new Sig .40 and Kimber .45 alot last week and had real messy groups with the XD yesterday even with brass. Not the guns fault, just me getting used to the "sloppy" trigger of the XD again...strange day...shooting low and left like I did when I first started shooting. I really had to concentrate to hit center target.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

I had the day off and went to the range today. For once not many people today. lol
I have been shooting the yellow box Remington from Walmart because of price. Well today will be my last day for this stuff. After about 20 rounds I started to notice this cloud after ever shot. I thought man someone is killing the black pounder over there. Well is was me making this mess with my XD 40. I had a box of PMC and shot it after and nothing. Not a bit of smoke. And after cleaning the guns I can see what a mess they are. Just thought I would share.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheaper Than Dirt has Armscor and Aguila for around $16.50 (50 rounds).
I typically pay around $19 or so for Rem's UMC's (green box).

I think I'll get some of each.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jamie,

I've shot both Aguila and CCI Blazer Brass(reloadable brass cases) with no problems. Normally, I look for sales at Gander Mountain,Cabela's or a couple of online dealers I've used in the past.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat & Chicken Farmer View Post
I load my own. Custom recipes for different shooting circumstances, such as dueling tree or pin shoots.
X2! Reloading is the only way to go!

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 10-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
X2! Reloading is the only way to go!
If you want to pick up my brass their all yours!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have shot Blazer Aluminum out of my M&P with no issues..... it ejected at a funny angle ....lol.... but that was about it

I use Aguila 124gr 9mm and love it......

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
I have shot Blazer Aluminum out of my M&P with no issues..... it ejected at a funny angle ....lol.... but that was about it

I use Aguila 124gr 9mm and love it......
Hey, I've taken 3 to the forehead with brass...Kimber .45 3-inch.
The break period for that gun is 600-800 rounds! Almost there and seems to be working itself out...the last casing drew blood...lol
Then they say change the spring and "good to go"..lol...to the emergency room I assume..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T A 70 View Post
Hey, I've taken 3 to the forehead with brass...Kimber .45 3-inch.
The break period for that gun is 600-800 rounds! Almost there and seems to be working itself out...the last casing drew blood...lol
Then they say change the spring and "good to go"..lol...to the emergency room I assume..
LOL.... exactly, for some reason the Blazer ejected right at my forehead......

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the years I have ordered case upon cases of ammo from many different online sellers. Here are a few that are at the top of my book.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

http://www.aimsurplus.com/?Ammunition%20Webstore

http://www.natchezss.com/

Always check the shipping rates and availabilty.

CTD sucks.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I normally order through Natchez, but the availability for .45's is a hit or miss, at least it is with me. There only seems to be a couple of times a year that they carry stock.

Normally, I would agree that CTD sucks, but they had a darned good price, so I'll try them this go around.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I try and find positives in any situation at the range. Things that happen whether feeding issues or otherwise will sharpen skills in the event of something like that happening under duress/panic.

I don't know how you guys feel, but personally knives frighten me more than guns in a hostile situation and if I'm within 15 ft. of someone brandishing one I'm firing. (sorry, off topic)