Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Default 455 project ideas?

I am looking for some advice/guidance on a potential opportunity. I have a friend with a 455 out of a 1975 vista cruiser he is wanting to sell. It is a fresh rebuild not overbored and is assembled and pretty much complete except for a carb and maybe a distributor. He bought it for a hot rod 1946 chevy pickup project and has decided he wants to go another route with a simple small block chevy. I have not pinned him down on a price because he does not know I am interested.

My questions are:
1. With the right transmission and rearend could a combo be built that would get
reasonable gas mileage?
2. What would this motor be worth?
3. Would this be an expensive or difficult motor to maintain or work on?

I do not have a vehicle to put it in yet so this would be the starting point. Just brainstorming. I know I cannot afford a purpose built hotrod. (My 55 does not like highway speeds.)

Last edited by MJVAUGHANS; 10-12-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: DID NOT LIKE WORDING
Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IF its got the stock 8.2: CR, and you run a rebuilt and properly jetted Q jet, run at least 3.42 or higher ( numerically lower) gears, and a 4 speed auto, or 5 speed stick ( both over drives), you can get up to 17-18 mpg going 60 mph.
If its built correctly, should be easy to maintain with an HEI, and good carb.
that engine still has a mountain of torque
It MUST have a rope seal.( rear main) The 75 and 76 blocks leak like crazy ( 455 blocks) with the 2 piece neoprene seal
worth 4-500 stock and not butchered back yard rebuild with the stock 75 455 heads/cam
with machine shop slips and some upgraded parts could be worth up to 1K
Highway speeds.. check out this link, may help your transmission and tire decisions..Good luck!@
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I am VERY wary of ANY engine that is a "fresh build".

I'd rather have an oil leaking/burning 150,000 mile original that hasn't been screwed with...

IF, IF, the engine is properly done and has zero issues, the pricing is in the range of Bruce's.....455 Oldsmobiles are not uncommon to find in salvage yards (for me at least) a 455 Pontiac....another story.

A big olds engine would be great for an old heavy pickup. You would not need a lot of gear, the torque makes it fun and easy to drive...IF it all comes together....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Suspended

You can barely give away an Olds 455 around here.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Chief

How about a kick a$$ drag boat!