Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64
Default 383 stroker ???

I'm putting this in my Pachanga but the question would be the same if it was going into a car.
I bought this all done never fired . Rotating assembly has been balanced and has a 400 harmonic balancer on it also new. I have the sheet where all the parts were ordered to confirm everything is new oil pump chain & gear set cam & lifters etc.
I have the catalog the parts were ordered from and at the bottom of the page it says use a 400 harmonic balancer and flex plate / flywheel . My question is and I've gotten answers both ways .
My boat has a standard type flywheel like a stick shift car with a coupler bolted to it basically in place of the pressure plate . so it's not a flex plate but a true flywheel . I've been told by some the flywheel is 0 balance . I went to napa to order a 400 flywheel and it gives the same part number for the 400 and the 350 .
So can I use my original 350 flywheel on the new 383 with the 400 crank and 400 harmonic balancer?
The other question I have is I was told the valves were all adjusted and I didn't have to touch them. I know in a Pontiac you just torque them to 25-30lbs and go with it but in the chevy motors you have to run them and do the 0 lash 1/4 turn . The rockers in this motor are majorly loose, but to get the valve covers off in the boat with the marine manifolds on is a real pain in the butt .

Don

Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

Well no answer on here tracked down the original shop that did the bore work . They said I need a 400 flywheel , but could rebalance my 350 wheel so I took that up. the next day they called and said my 350 wheel was -0- balanced but they couldn't do the 400 balance because there was already material taken out in the area he needed to lighten up and couldn't take out any more.Two options new 400 flywheel for 150.00 or an adaptor plate that bolted between the crank and flywheel for 20. that would give the same result. I guess that's a no brainer. I bought the adaptor plate . now we can install the motor.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The adapter plate has a counterweight on it I presume?