Old 09-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a buckle in your support...in the pic....needs a whack...if yah haven’t already fixed it.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, has it really been since September since I last posted here?! I suppose I have slowed on the GTO somewhat these past few months, but it's about to get real busy very soon. Perhaps it's time for a small update...

My metal guy still has a few very minor things to address, such as knocking out some small dings in the nose panel, filling in the led on the roof panel, and a little bit of shaping on a rear corner. He'll get working on that when space opens up in his shop in a few weeks.

The big news on my end is that as of this week, I have gotten a painter on board for the project. It's one guy who runs his own business, doing all the work himself (no employees). I have seen numerous cars that he has painted, and it's not an exaggeration to say that they are all Pebble Beach level work. It's quite costly, but he comes highly recommended by people I trust, and he stands behind his work. I'm excited, the GTO is going to be nicer than I ever would have imagined.

My hope is to get the metalwork done and get the car to the painter in the next 4-6 weeks, at which time the painter said it will take him about 3 months, which is fine with me. While he has the car, I will work on the following:

- Polish all the stainless trim, and send a few pieces out to be re-anodized
- Reupholster the front seats
- Clean & repaint engine
- Start buying all the things needed for reassembly (wiring, seals, felts, etc.)

With a bit of luck, I'm hoping to get the car back on the road this summer or early fall. Fingers crossed...

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 04-23-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, as of today, the old gal is finally headed out for paint. It'll be very invigorating to see it with color once again. Should be back in my hands in about four months. In the meantime, there is plenty else to work on!

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 04-23-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait to see it in color.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Git er done !!

Old 04-24-2021, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trying to! I've been ordering parts fast & furious as of late. Trying to get ahead of any possible supply chain delays. I ordered a full exhaust system with oversized ram air exhaust manifolds from Ram Air Restorations, and despite the website saying everything was in stock, I received an email afterward stating that they have run out of LH manifold castings but should receive more from the foundry by the end of May. Hope that's true. So far, I've been pretty lucky throughout the pandemic with receiving parts in a timely manner, but the next few months will be vital.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:57 AM

Big milestone, congrats on your progress!

Old 04-25-2021, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Randy!

Old 04-25-2021, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad to see that you are still making progress...Looking forward to seeing the shots after it has some color.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:44 PM

ZeGermanHam as an FYI I ordered the RA restoration roundport manifolds for my '67 GTO E-head build in June 2019 - yes, 2019 and while there have been a lot of issues with the foundry, switching foundries, etc I still don't have them. Paul is very nice on the phone explaining the situation when I call monthly. For me my chassis is about done so I'm looking at pulling the trigger on some Doug's headers so I can get going. Is it close to two years now. The car has been apart too long now.

Be interested to see where others are on their wait time. I'm sure Covid did not help at all. If they really were available in May that would be great. Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf67gto View Post
ZeGermanHam as an FYI I ordered the RA restoration roundport manifolds for my '67 GTO E-head build in June 2019 - yes, 2019 and while there have been a lot of issues with the foundry, switching foundries, etc I still don't have them. Paul is very nice on the phone explaining the situation when I call monthly. For me my chassis is about done so I'm looking at pulling the trigger on some Doug's headers so I can get going. Is it close to two years now. The car has been apart too long now.

Be interested to see where others are on their wait time. I'm sure Covid did not help at all. If they really were available in May that would be great. Hope this helps.
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I'm a bit baffled as to why the website says everything is in stock when they are not. I ordered D-port manifolds, so our orders aren't completely apples-to-apples since they use different castings. Not sure what difference that will make (if any) in terms of when each of us will receive our respective orders, however.

But if I don't receive the manifolds by August or September, I'm going to have to move on with something else.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a big update by any stretch today, but I have sorted out my fuel pressure bypass regulator position and hose routing. Made a DIY bracket for attaching it to the intake. When a 14" air cleaner is installed, it's all pretty tidy. Definitely didn't want to have it installed on the inner wheel housing or elsewhere in the engine bay.

Also painted the intake last night with Duplicolor DE1616. To my eye, it looks pretty good, but it certainly plays tricks on my eyes. In sunlight it looks plenty blue. In low light it looks more silver the longer you look at it. Seems close enough for me.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 05-15-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool...every step forward is a good thing - since the little things need done too. Congrats on the progress.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Wild_Cat View Post
Cool...every step forward is a good thing - since the little things need done too. Congrats on the progress.
Yep, and the little things can be deceptively time consuming, too. It took me a few tries to get the fuel regulator setup how I wanted, and I had to experiment with a few different types of hose fittings.

I'm trying to piece together everything I will need to drop the engine in and fire it up as soon as the car gets back from paint. I've ordered many items, and have received most, but I'm still waiting on some important bits that were ordered mid-April but have yet to arrive:

- Holley Sniper EFI tank
- Ram Air Restoration oversized exhaust manifolds + complete exhaust system
- Cast aluminum power steering & alternator bracket
- Aluminum pulley set (powder coated black)

Nice to have some new parts coming in, though.

My dad also sent me this photo taken of he and my mom in 1971 on my mom's '66 LeMans, which was the first car she bought as an adult with her own money. That car is a big reason why I ended up with a '66 GTO.

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 05-15-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a great pic!

Old 05-25-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it is a great photo. She looks like she could have been a movie star back then.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

Ze, I see over in the Heating & cooling tech section you just received a Vintage Air Surefit system for this restoration. I bought one 3 years ago, but health issues kept me from getting started until this year. While I am very pleased with the product quality, I will be interested in following your install process as I have almost reached the point of wiring and am admittedly a complete novice in this area. Hope you will add some pics to this thread when you tackle your install. I admire the progress you have made so far.

Mike Pearson

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 05-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Mike. Yes, I finally received my Vintage Air SureFit system after a long wait (a recurring theme these days with regard to parts availability...). I will be sure to posts some installation photos here, but it's going to be a while. I probably won't get my car back from paint for another 3-4 months, so that will be the earliest that I'll have the opportunity to get rolling on the all the mechanical and electrical work. In any regard, once I get to that stage I will follow up with you. Heck, by then maybe you can teach me!

Old 05-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Senior Chief

The one piece of advice I would give you right now is to inventory everything and keep all the various kits together until you start the install. I made the mistake of stuffing various bags of parts all over my over crowded garage and combined some wiring things from different sub components. Three years later things don't look the same and darned if some things haven't turned up yet.

Muncie 4 speed (orginally an automatic car)
Old 05-28-2021, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sage advice that I can certainly appreciate and relate to. I took inventory of everything in the kit when it arrived, and then put it all back in the boxes to ensure nothing is misplaced.

I know all about things not looking quite like you remembered them after a few years have passed. I'd be dead in the water with this project if I hadn't been pretty methodical about photographing and labeling everything I removed from the car. It's all too easy to fall into the mindset of "I'll remember what part goes there and what box I put it in!"