Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default 69 Trans am hood, carbon fiber?

I'm going to have a 69 trans am hood made in carbon fiber for my car. I'll more than likely do the side scoops and the wing too. Anybody else interested in one?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that can't be cheap! the camaro cowl hood in cf is $1500.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

got a price range in mind?

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

I am taking all my stuff to the guy today or tomorrow. These are going to be raw carbon fiber gloss finish no need to paint unless you want to. I will make these a ready to bolt on deal, no sanding or fitting. The first hood is going to cost me about $4000, I'm thinking about $2000-$3000, price is going to depend on if I have an inner frame done also.

My choices are:

#1 no inner structure with molded in billet alum. blocks for bolting to the hinges and also for the hood latch. The guy says this is all I need, the hood will be very ridged and not floppy at all.

#2 carbon fiber inner structure just around perimeter or just like factory frame. Another mold and more money.

#3 buy 69 firebird steel hood frames from goodmark or? and have the carbon fiber trans am skins bonded to them.

I am planning on no inner structure for me so far. I could do the other options depending on interest.

I will be making at least one maybe two for myself, being my car is black, I think raw carbon fiber hood, wing and side scoops would be a very cool look

Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a super thin (think potato chip) fiberglass hood on my turbo car. It uses Dzus fasteners mounted on the fender supports. I just cut a notch out of the side for it to slip down over and it was always very rigid once dzuesed I have even had people jump u n it and sit there.

It help up great until I blew it off at the 1000 ft mark once when I blew a turbo inlet pipe connection.

It flew 100 Ft n the air and landed just as I got my time slip.
I picked it up put new dzus fasteners in it and it still on the car.

It a little floppier now but I still use it.

Its amazing to me how well its held up with all its been through.
Id love to do that T/A set up your talking about but I am working on getting some new turbo headers into production right now.
I also just switched to Gen 7 DFi so money is tight.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 03-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$4000 dollars for one hood? Thats alot of cash.....are you sure you want one that bad? Just buy a fiberglass TA hood then have it covered in a thin sheet of carbon Fiber (cost about $200-$300 worth of Carbon fiber some epoxy and then have someone clear coat it).....then you get the carbon fiber look and weight savings for a lot less dollars. You could even just cover a steel hood in a thin layer of Carbon fiber if you wanted. Wouldnt be a weight savings but youd get the look and be alot less that $4K.

Actually.....if you bought the fiberglass TA hood....you could cover it in carbon fiber yourself in your garage. Same for the steel hood. If you have painting equipment you could also clearcoat and buff it too in your garage. Wouldnt be too hard either to cover.....scuff the fiberglass with 80 grit really good....lay out the CF fabric....wet it out with good epoxy resin....squeegee excess.....lay down some...."peel ply" which absorbs excess resin as the epoxy cures...after cure, pull off the peel ply....then sand smooth for clearcoating. The painting is challenging if youve never done it though.

Last edited by esahlin; 03-13-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

I own a steel original 69 T/A hood, not going to cover it with carbon fiber. I just bought a fiberglass one too, I thought it would fit a lot better. It needs lots of work to be right. I can do it, but I'm sending it back. I also bought side scoops and a wing, the wing is ok, the side scoops needs lots work to be correct.

I think I am better off starting from scratch, having molds made of all my original stuff. Then I will have it all correct and in carbon fiber.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MAn theres alot of isocyantes in that coveringthe glass hood plan. It does work and is a good I dea just wear a air fed respirator when you do it.

Isocyantes can kill you.
anything 2 part like epoxy or anything with a catalyst gives them off.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No isocyanates in two part epoxy resin used in covering the hood. Yes isos are released when painting clear coat.

John Haley- thats going to be a sweet hood when they get it done for you....please post up some pics when its all finished.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have never heard of any 2 part that doesnt have isocyanates released.

the chemical reaction creates Iso's

foam in pillows and new car seats have Iso's
most expandable foams have isos too.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Chief

I found someone to make Carbon fiber 69 Trans am hoods Going to be about $900-$1500ea depending on fiberglass inner structure or carbon inner, wings $$??, side scoops $$?? and trunk lid $500-$950 depending on inner structure.

I do need to send the guy all the original parts to make molds from. Before I send my hood all the way out there,

Is there anybody closer that would be willing to let their hood be used for making a mold

This is the guy

Anvil Auto Inc.
13336 Beach Ave.
Marina del Rey, CA 90292

https://www.anvilauto.com/products_camaro_6769.php

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Anvil does great work, I believe they already have the decklid for the Camaros, as well as A pillars, cowl, front spoiler, hood, and the part between the hood and grille for the Camaros.

I asked them about doing the rear spoiler some time ago, they were interested but they would need a good mold...such as your original spoiler. I bought two aftermarket fiberglass T/A rear spoilers, and they suck the big one. Mine were both warped, so I would never consider those for molds. Your original stuff would be the ticket.

I'm interested...we'll have to see what my pocketbook says.

Anvil is already well respected in the pro-touring crowd, so they would be a good outlet as well.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

I found them looking for a carbon fiber deck lid. The guy I went to local wants way too many $$$$ for all the molds and one set of done parts, hood, hood scoops, trunk lid, wing and side scoops.
I was shocked, so I went on the Google hunt for another guy. I found a post of his on another board where some guys were looking for carbon fiber stuff for early camaros, saying he made some stuff already.

I went to his site, saw his stuff and called him. He said he may be making a hood next year. I asked if the hold up was getting original parts to make molds from, and yes that was the hold up. He told me if I could send him the original parts he would make and keep the molds, not charge me for them. Hoods would be priced about the same as his camaro hoods.

https://www.anvilauto.com/products_camaro_6769.php

I will not be selling these, you will need to buy them from him. So if anybody wants 69 T/A stuff in carbon fiber, call and let them know.

Last edited by John Haley; 03-18-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Just a little update: The guy at Anvil Auto doesn't want to be responsible for my original parts( I can understand why) and want's me to send some good fitting after market parts. So I checked around for another guy. It only took me a few days and about 30 phone calls and I found someone local again! Price is sounding good so far.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM

I sent an email to Anvil for an update since I'd asked about a T/A rear spoiler previously as well....he pretty much told me the same thing about your parts. I was hoping he would work with you, but I was also having concerns about shipping your hood, too many horror stories about UPS. Unfortunately, there is no aftermarket rear spoiler that is good enough to take a mold from.

Just curious, is the local guy using a vacuum press with some pre-preg carbon fiber? I would assume so, as that'll be the most uniform method.

Keep us posted on the local source!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

I had a truck driver friend ready to hand deliver my stuff to Anvil. But I'm sure he is more worried about the parts once he has them. Mold making should start within the next week I hope. Yes the parts will be vacuum bagged.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a 69 T/A side scoop in carbon fiber. This is just a quickie, not a real good part. Gonna make a better mold. I should be able to have a hood done in a week or two.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Cool! Hey, not sure if this helps, but I noticed our host sells an ABS rear spoiler now, that may be a decent enough part for a mold for the rear spoiler.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Chief

I am making these parts at my shop with the help of a guy that knows how do make these molds and makes carbon fiber body panels for NASCAR an ARCA race cars.

I am going to use my original wing to make the wing mold.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another company planning on making a carbon fiber TA hood.

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55617