Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Harmonic Balancer

A bit of a noob question. 69 Firebird. I'm replacing my timing chain cover. I have all the pulleys off and the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer.

The service manual says to "slide" the balancer off the crank. That's not happening ;-)

Is there a technique I can use? Do I need a puller of some kind?

Thanks,

John

Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM

Ya, you need a puller- you can rent one from a local parts place. Also, soak the front with a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster that you can get there as well. Let it soak for a wile and rap it with a dead blow hammer a few times during the soak time and it should come right off.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. C.J. Lewis

God Bless the U.S. and the people that defend it ...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Ya, you need a puller- you can rent one from a local parts place. Also, soak the front with a penetrating oil such as PB Blaster that you can get there as well. Let it soak for a wile and rap it with a dead blow hammer a few times during the soak time and it should come right off.
Thanks! Yeah, I've been soaking it with PB Blaster. I might already have a puller....if not I'll rent one.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 AM

I know this is an old post, but I couldn't help commenting. I'm in the process of replacing the crank seal in my timing cover. I too have the shop manual and and couldn't help but chuckle as I read that line about "sliding" the balancer off.

JCRUZ was certainly right - that's not happening. It brought back memories of my days in computer tech support, where the mantra was that documentation is nice if you have it, but it also can, and will, lie to you.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiacs are only a slide fit, unlike other engines. I've pulled a number of balancers that will slide off with a slight tap......others, not so lucky.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-17-2020, 09:25 AM

You were correct LeighP,

Mine only seemed stuck. As I generally don't care to smack things with a hammer, I put a puller on it. As soon as the slightest bit of tension was applied, it popped loose and fairly leaped off into my hands. Of course with a touch of oil the replacement slid on without a hitch. I expect had I simply tapped it firmly with a rubber or plastic mallet, it would have popped loose.

This is my first Pontiac after about 40 years of Chevys and it's always interesting to learn new things.