Old 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM

Default FUEL PUMP REBUILD HELP

Has anyone rebuilt a 1977 AC fuel pump? Can the reservoir be removed? Are there replacement parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	548742  

Old 09-05-2020, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

About the only rebuilder of the crimp style pumps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Been keeping my eyes open for a resource that is rebuilding the Unitac style pumps. Following is a post off CRG from two years ago. The original chevy Unitac pumps I've always run across were not the deep canister style, instead they were shallow style similar to the '66-69 Pontiac V8 pumps, so not sure if this fellow can even do them.

"My name is Fred Ballard and I DO restore these crimp together type of fuel pumps. I am NOT in any way now or ever have been related to Goat Hill Classics. I am currently working on my seventeenth restoration run and I am actively gathering pumps for my eighteenth run which will begin very soon. I have done over 800 of these so far. I generally only do 2 or 3 runs per year based on customer needs. I need a minimum number of pumps to do a run and I am near that now.

The restoration is $220 plus $20 return shipping in the lower 48 states. This service needs to be prepaid and a personal or company check is the preferred method of payment. The pumps are disassembled, cleaned, replated and rebuilt with diaphragms and valves compatible with current ethanol laced fuels. If you are planning to send yours in, please email me and enclose contact and shipping information with the pump. The service takes about one month from the time that I begin the disassembly process.

I seem to be the only one in the world currently doing these pumps. If you Google "crimped fuel pump rebuild" my name is the only one that comes up. My specialty has been Ford pumps but I have done a fair number of GM and Chrysler pumps as well.

Here is a link to a Ford one that I did that was on Ebay recently. This will give you some idea of the quality of my work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111335656619...84.m1562.l2649

Fred Ballard
28916 Flowerpark Drive
Canyon Country, Ca. 91387-1801
661-251-2362"

fredsclassics@hotmail.com

-Fred-"

line of thought...if AirCo could take original GM fuel pumps, separate & reuse the castings & arms & rebuild with new canisters on them...which is exactly what I believe they were doing, with the right deep canisters, these Pontiac pumps should be able to be rebuilt.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-12-2020, 05:23 PM

Unhappy Thank You

I really appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll just go out and buy a modern replacement.