Old 09-25-2020, 02:30 PM

Default Main Bearing Help

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help finding some main bearings to a 1979 301. I've called Ames and they said they have bearings for all but the 301. I've checked quite a few other sites and been searching throughout the day with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

Old 09-25-2020, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EngineTech-...Cclp%3A2334524

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265-301-PON...kAAOSwmRZZ49wD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clevite-MS1...Cclp%3A2334524

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 09-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no idea why you're looking for main bearing sets, but just something to know in case you're chasing a low oil pressure problem, the cranks in these engines are notoriously soft, and known to wear undersize with normal operation, at low mileage. Usually by 60,000 miles the engine block bores, and crankshaft are worn out even with average maintenance. By 1977 all GM divisions had omitted the alloys that make cast iron components wear better in a cost saving frenzy.

It ended up pushing their customers to other brands because of engine failures, and upped their warranty claims. Thank you bean counters for starting the downward slide of GM, which finally ended in bankruptcy, and bailouts, and the closure of the Pontiac brand, yep still bitter about that...........

The 80-81 turbo blocks were much better than the 77-79 standard blocks, FWIW.

From previous experience with 301s, just putting bearings in when they are worn to the copper and the oil pressure light is flashing on at warm idle, won't fix anything. If you have bearings worn to the copper you'll need a crank kit that is ground undersize with attendant bearings to fit.

Do yourself a favor and put the 60 PSI pump in it after you have it repaired properly also.

The skinny/lightweight timing chain and gears also wear out in these engines prematurely, so be looking at replacing that with the standard 400 timing chain and gears too. Pontiac engineers were trying to save weight at all costs, and took two rows of links off of the timing chains in an effort to save a few grams. The early 77-79 engines were very poor for longevity.

If you're not chasing an oil pressure problem, just disregard my post. I have done the bearing replacement years ago before, to no avail. If I could save someone some labor by telling my experiences with 301s, I try to help people when I can.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated