Old 09-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default Wrong steering column for my 67.

I bought a steering column for my 67 GTO from a member here. After painting it I installed it into my car. The lower part of the shaft does not have the flange for the steering box attached to the shaft and used a separate one. Also the top of the shaft that the steering wheel goes on is about 2 inches to long. Everything else appears to be the same. I think maybe the column has the wrong shaft in it. Does anyone have a picture of a 67 column so I can compare it to mine.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the best I have on file, Hope it's of help.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff's pic is spot on for most '67 Pontiac A-body's with factory floor shift transmission. '67 GTO's originally equipped with factory RA manifolds (factory 400HO & 400 RamAir) had a long steering shaft with a splined end to accept the cast iron flange to the rag joint. This was needed for clearance issues, & is the exact same cast iron flange as was used on '67 A-body & F-body tilt columns.

If the "pickup points", i.e, where the column bolts to the stamped steel dash hanger are the same, the column you have is A-body.
All '67 & 68 GM car columns used the design with the expanded metal & a black plastic covering.. GM big cars of those years did not have a protruding shaft, as they were all rear steer, with the steering box up close to the firewall. If you like, feel free & post pictures of the column & ESP several pics of the lower bowl of the column. Occasionally, one will see someone who has picked up a '67 Malibu/Chevelle column for their '67 GTO/LeMans. The '67 Chevy A-body column has a different designed lower bowl.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 09-29-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm confused since my '67 H.O. 4-speed column shaft is exactly the same as my '67 GTO standard manifold automatic console column. Both shafts have a welded on flange and look like Jeff's photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	column flange.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	550623  

Last edited by lust4speed; 09-30-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE='ol Pinion head;6182717] '67 GTO's originally equipped with factory RA manifolds (factory 400HO & 400 RamAir) had a long steering shaft with a splined end to accept the cast iron flange to the rag joint. This was needed for clearance issues, & is the exact same cast iron flange as was used on '67 A-body & F-body tilt columns. ]

X2 My original HO has the splined shaft.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll check the H.O. car tomorrow. Now I'm not that sure.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Learned yet another thing about GTO's from Ol' Pinion Head......never knew this, assumed all were welded. Much appreciated, as usual, Sir!!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, only thing I know for sure is my steering shaft is embarrassingly dirty.

Seems to be the same as the standard engine automatic car photo I posted above? This is my H.O. 4-speed car that I've had since new and can attest that the steering shaft is definitely original to the car.

And looks like I better check tightness of the rag joint bolts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H.O. Steering Shaft.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	550731  

Old 10-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen original ho car's with the standard column.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Big block Chevell uses a column with a removable flange. They need a removable one to clear the exhaust manifold. If it’s from a chevelle the shaft should be the same length. The amount is sticks out the top can be adjusted.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'67 Malibu/ Chevelle uses its own specific columns. Both models have a totally different shaped lower bowl. Have pulled dozens of '67 Malibu & Chevelle columns. Have also pulled two splined shaft bullet shaped lower bowl columns out of what were Kansas City Leeds built '67 400 HO GTO's. Both had the specific routed front brake line utilized with factory RA manifolds. Also pulled a '67 4.33 HD STT rear and the remaining portion including splined lower shaft of a floor shift column out of a '67 non AC stick GTO, that had the VIN swapped/ from the inspection decal, no later than the mid 70's. It also had the specific shaped front brakenline. Sent off when Jim M first started PHS, that particular '67 GTO came back an absolute nothing: 400 AC automatic... a real disappointment.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
I have seen original ho car's with the standard column.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6478.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	550881