Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

Default Wiring question - installing optional gauges 66 full size

I am installing a speedometer head with the oil and temp gauges in my 66. The previous cluster has two green wires to the temp gauge. One goes to the temp sender, the other appears to go to the ignition switch. Someone suggested that is so that in crank position, the temp light comes on as a test to show you it's working.

My question is, can I safely leave this hooked up with the new temperature gauge or do I need to remove the green wire from the back of the ignition switch? I have not tested but it only makes sense that the green wire to the ignition switch makes a ground in crank position to power the light, yet that seems backwards? My reasoning is, the other green wire (which is in tandem with this one) goes to the temp sender and I know the temp sender makes a ground to turn on the light.