THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone need rain?

In the past twenty-four hours we have received 4.5 inches of rain. This is more than our normal August total, while we have twenty-three days to go in the month. The initial rain(4 inches) was between 3 and 4:45 this morning; enough rain to overwhelm the French drain system around the house and deposit around forty gallons of water in basement. The forecast for the week is more rain on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, meaning our humidity will not drop below 65-70% for the rest of the week. Starting to feel like S. FL around here.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-07-2023, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I live in Okkahoma. We NEVER complain about rain. It could be a LONG time before it rains again.

We had an election item get approved, like 10-15 years ago. (I won't say what it was obviously). Highly controversial issue. It didn't rain much for 2-1/2-3 years after that. That was tough. I say the lack of rain and t he election results were related........

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 10:57 PM
Senior Chief

Could use some to water the gardens and forests. It’s been a beautiful summer here - drier than usual but not too hot. Just outside Vancouver, British Columbia.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been a little dry over the last few weeks here in Raleigh NC, but we had a line of thunderstorms roll through tonight that dumped a fair amount of rain on us. We had a very wet June.

I have at least two limbs down, not big ones but big enough I need to cut them up with the chainsaw. I have several Sweet Gum trees, those things lose limbs pretty easily.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We could use some rain here, preferably in the middle of the night and not all at once. LOL. West of Vancouver on Vancouver Island.
Things are pretty dry and lots of forrest fires in the Interior of BC.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A good portion of Minnesota is in severe drought for the third year in a row, so yes we could use some.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 12:14 AM

Here in northern Durham County, we've had thunder showers in the late afternoon for the last several days.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NO! This is the wettest summer I ever remember. Grass is dead in lots of areas from too much water.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2023 has been all wet with rain, morning dew. Only 1-week of dry 2-weeks ago.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Senior Chief

SW Ohio (not far from you) ...we had an abnormally dry spring, and now we are getting plenty of rain on a regular basis. Usually, by this time of year, I am mowing every two weeks. Right now its 5 days, tops. And the field corn, lord it looks like a jungle.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't live too far from HH62, and during the 3rd week of July over 8 days I had 13.5 inches of water in the rain gauge... 3 days that week like he had last night. I got another 2 last night. Can't keep up with the grass. It needs to be cut about every 4 days at least.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Williamson County, Texas.

Here in my area of the county we are in a stage 3 situation....No outdoor watering with irrigation system or hose-end sprinkler.

Central Texas continues to see record-high, sustained temperatures.

Stage 3 restrictions due to excessive irrigation, water supply challenges, and severe drought conditions.

Local lakes are approaching record low levels. One local water source, the level of Stillhouse Hollow Lake is lower than it has been in 33 years.

The three pump stations servicing the affected area are unable to keep up with demand, and there are no alternatives to get more water to those pump stations for distribution. If pump stations cannot maintain pressure, it could lead to boil water notices.

Water use across the City’s system has exceeded 95 percent of our treatment capacity multiple days the past two weeks. During the summer months, 75 percent of the water produced each day by water treatment plants is used for lawn and landscape irrigation.

And yet they are building thousands of new homes around us.... all will have their fancy manicured new lawns that suck up water !

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 08-08-2023 at 10:16 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I don't live too far from HH62, and during the 3rd week of July over 8 days I had 13.5 inches of water in the rain gauge... 3 days that week like he had last night. I got another 2 last night. Can't keep up with the grass. It needs to be cut about every 4 days at least.
This is the second time in a month that rainfall has overwhelmed our drain system. The first time was in July when we received a little over seven inches of rain in just over an hour. The gully that runs between our house and our garage looked like the Colorado River at flood stage. I had to “suck up” ninety gallons of water out of the basement after that storm. I told my wife it looks like we are going to have to expand the diversion ditch system around the house and revamp the French drain system as well. I will say this : the corn and soybean look fantastic!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Local news here uses a drought monitor to show how much above average we are on rain fall.

Not sayin' anything else
Clay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to "QUICK-SILVER" For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last day of July netted rainfall that exceeded the total up to then for the month.

Two days later, we were blessed with an additional 5 + inches (rain gauge only measures 5 inches).

We were in "extreme drought", but government has not updated map since the 5 inch rain. Guessing we progressed from "extreme" to simply "severe".

Forecast is 90 percent rain tomorrow, thence rain every 5 days in the long range forecast; so maybe our dry weather pattern has broken.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send it here SE Texas is just like Steve C.'s area. Temps every day over 100 and I can't remember when it last rained. Come on October!

Old 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Phoenix is going through similar water allocation problems as we are here in Central Texas. The government just shut down a very big --Sun City - size development out in west Phoenix area near the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant. Supposedly thousands of houses. But they couldn't verify the water availability for the next 30 years or so. So they stopped them....at least for now.

“The world’s capacity to respond to water security risks is in doubt.”
World Economic Forum

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

Last edited by Steve C.; 08-08-2023 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
This is the second time in a month that rainfall has overwhelmed our drain system. The first time was in July when we received a little over seven inches of rain in just over an hour. The gully that runs between our house and our garage looked like the Colorado River at flood stage. I had to “suck up” ninety gallons of water out of the basement after that storm. I told my wife it looks like we are going to have to expand the diversion ditch system around the house and revamp the French drain system as well. I will say this : the corn and soybean look fantastic!
I went through that back in 2014. 30 gallons in the basement twice within 6 months. Was able to purchase the property next to me and promptly cut in a diversion ditch. I don't think my sump pump has run 6 times since I did that. Money well spent!

Old 08-08-2023, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I went through that back in 2014. 30 gallons in the basement twice within 6 months. Was able to purchase the property next to me and promptly cut in a diversion ditch. I don't think my sump pump has run 6 times since I did that. Money well spent!
Our basement was built on solid sandstone; a sump pump isn’t even possible. This is why my BIL and I constructed the diversion ditch and French drain system around the house back in 2009. It has worked well up until this year. The rain had a bit of help getting into the basement. A ground hog has excavated a hole into the area between the basement and the crawl space. Looks like a couple of bags of Quikcrete are going to be in my future…. as well as a couple of subsonic. 22LR hollow points for my chubby invader.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. Need rain here. Grass looks like cardboard. Been dry for months now. 100 degrees plus for weeks. I operate 2 water plants for 150,000 or so people. Man, the pull. ALL the water towers are useless most of the day.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post: