THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-04-2023, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I'm off to San Antonio Texas Tuesday

6am flight out of Philly. I found a 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L engine down there. I hate the 4.0L in my 2002 Grand Cherokee. Gas mileage sucks in the pig. And I can't pull any heavy loads with it. The gas mileage drops to zilch. This one will pull 5900 so I could pull a trailer with the GTO on it if I had too. The 2002 I had with the 4.7 got up to 26mpg out on the Interstates, and 16 around town. But full time 4WD in the 2004 might change that a bit.

The 2004 Limited looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Only 80,000 miles on it and it's loaded to the hilt. Not a mark on it that I can see on and of the 71 photos of it. The only thing I don't care about on it is its full time 4WD. But I'll live with it.... if 'in I have too. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2023, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a safe flight!

Old 11-05-2023, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great rigs!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 11-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats Gary!
I've never considered a Jeep. My wife is looking for a new (used) ride. Might include it in the search.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Take some time to see the Alamo, eat at a place called "The Jail" famous for their chicken fried steak & spend some time down on "The River Walk" lots of great bars & restaurants down there as well!!!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 11-05-2023, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure but I don't think I'll be there that long, tho I'd love to stay and look around a bit. Especially to see the Alamo. I really want to get the paperwork done so I can get back on the road and home and back to work. And get that 4.0L cleaned out so I sell the damn thing. I put a lot of money into it, but the engine is what killed my appeal for it. It's gotta go.

Greg, don't buy a 4.0L Jeep GC. Get the 4.7L so you and pull a trailer with it and not struggle trying to get someplace. And gas mileage is way better because it's not working as hard as the 4.0L has too.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-05-2023, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hell, here's the link for it and you can see all 71 of the photos, instead of me putting up just a few.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1J4GW58N64C200096

Greg, if you can find a really good Jeep GC Laredo Limited that would get you and your wife just about all the bells and whistles. The best ones in this one is the seat memory and the pedal adjustment. The rest are basically standard. 2003 was the last year for Select Tracc for the 4WD. 2004 was the start of the Quadra Trac setup. Full time 4WD and able to select Low. I prefer the Select Trac, but I'll see what this one does on the way back home.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"

Last edited by GT182; 11-05-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I arrived in San Antonio around 11:45am Tuesday. The dealer picked me up at the airport and off we went. Checked out the Jeep and took it for a ride around the block. At 3:15 I was off on my way home. 1658 miles and 2 1/2 days later I got back to the house. I stopped for 2 3 1/2-hour naps only, plus gas and food with bathroom breaks. Hey, it was like driving a truck without a load, logbook, or trailer.

The Jeep isn't perfect, but it's close. Only a couple of things I need to take care of so far. Driver's seat bottom cushion needs repair. And it was so bad my butt still hurts. The owner must have been a pretty heavy fella. And the rear wiper motor makes a lot of noise. Other than that, it's one hell of a ride.

I drove with the cruise set to 75 but got up to 80 and 90 a few of times. Gas mileage was around 22 to 23mpg. And it was a smooth ride except for the construction areas. Would I do it again? No, once was enough at my age. Tho in a way, it was a nice vacation away from the Warden. And brought back a lot of memories from years ago. Now I've seen every major city in Texas. It's a big freekin state, but pretty as all hell. One thing I found out; they're pretty upset with Biden. My kind of people. LOL

Oh, Quadra Trac isn't all that bad. I do like it so far.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2023, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job. Definitely renew that seat bottom. Oh and the rear wiper ought be removed and a black Caplug fit into the hole so you and the PA Inspection fella are happy. ( donta mention it to the Inspection fella. If it comes up say it was a TX delete option).

Old 11-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on your new jeep Gary, I know you werent impressed with the current one you have/had. Sounds like a big trip. We just got back from a 3000+mil jaunt to the midwest and back. I am like you though, once every couple of years is enough for that kind of driving.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, they said going to the Alamo wasn't worth it. There's only the building to look at and it's not kept up as it should be. You can no longer even go inside it.

Kerry, it not something I'd do again for a very long time. Thank God I wasn't in an and 18-wheeler driving back. Traffic was the pits around the big cities. If it wasn't for the slow down around or thru them, I could have been back in 2 days instead of 2 1/2 days or less. LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 11-16-2023, 05:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Bill, they said going to the Alamo wasn't worth it. There's only the building to look at and it's not kept up as it should be. You can no longer even go inside it.

Kerry, it not something I'd do again for a very long time. Thank God I wasn't in an and 18-wheeler driving back. Traffic was the pits around the big cities. If it wasn't for the slow down around or thru them, I could have been back in 2 days instead of 2 1/2 days or less. LOL
WOW...Sorry to hear that about the Alamo! It has been a long time since I was there, but it was much better back then.

As far as the traffic issues...Welcome to my world! LOL Last year & this year are the only two in the last 25 years that I did not drive more than 100K per year.

The roads, construction areas & the traffic are so much worse now than I have even seen it in my 41 years in the business of transporting. No sense for me to list all the reasons I believe cause it, because it is not going to change anytime soon. I just go out & run my miles, then get back home.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe