Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

New Motor Rebuild -- Concerns on waiting to install it...Are there any concerns that one should have if there is a delay of installing a rebuilt motor if the wait after rebuilding to installation/start-up is about two months? The motor is in the process of being rebuilt now. Any precautions or recommendations that can be done now? Job and travel requirements associated with job may inherently cause this situation. Thanks for all your inputs!!!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

New Motor Rebuild -- Concerns on waiting to install it...Are there any concerns that one should have if there is a delay of installing a rebuilt motor if the wait after rebuilding to installation/start-up is about two months? The motor is in the process of being rebuilt now. Any precautions or recommendations that can be done now? Job and travel requirements associated with job may inherently cause this situation. Thanks for all your inputs!!!

Old 03-06-2005, 10:03 PM

My only concern would be having the cam lube dry up a bit. My recommendation would be to leave the intake/valley pan and valve covers off until you are ready to install. That way you can lube the lifters themselves up right before install, etc. Having said that however, 2 months isn't really that long.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rust! Is it going to be stored in a climate controlled environment?

As for the cam concern, you can break in the camshaft on an engine stand, if need be.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

break in the cam on an engine stand? howd can u pull that off without basically setting it up like a car with a radiator and fuel pump etc? engine stand sturdy enough for such a task? i only ask because id love to break my cam in out of the car so that re-installing the middle springs will be a piece of cake. other than paying for some dyno time that is. thanks - scott

Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a mechanical fuel pump you can do it. You already have you battery and radiator out. And as for "taking it" you're not gone race it, just keep it above 2,000 rpms for 20 minutes.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,

I'll be breaking in my cam I hope this week. I thought about doing it on the stand, but like mentioned The whole raditor set up would be a PITA.

I put the engine back on the frame. It's easy enough to pull it back off if you had to. Although 2 months of sitting you should be fine. I sat about that much time too.

Anthony

Old 03-08-2005, 01:47 AM

As long as you use plently of oil when rebuilding, taking care to use the correct cam grease, I don't see you having a problem at all. Just make sure you turn the engine over by hand quite a few times to distribute the oil around the engine & don't forget to prime the pump! Before eventually running it for the first time, turn the engine over on the starter motor with the plugs out to ensure you have oil pressure.

Pod.