The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default some sort of leak.....clueless

a few months ago i overheated the car one day and blew out the drivers side exhaust manifold gasket. i don't drive the car very often but the sound finally got to me so today i finally finished the installation of a new gasket. so after i was done and everything was reconnected i started the car to make sure there were no leaks and heard what sounds like an exhaust leak on the passenger side now! i checked all around the manifold but don't see any exhaust fumes. After a few minutes i did discover hot air which im assuming is exhaust leaking by the valve cover gasket and the intake. i took a picture of the spot where its leaking, the thing is you dont see smoke you can just feel the hot air blowing out.

any ideas ??

cars a 79 firebird w/ 301 2bbl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve cover pic.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	218836  

Old 09-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

Exhaust cross over leaking...Time to change the intake gaskets.......JB.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM

intake gasket will seem easy after tackling the exhaust.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

Yea changing them will def. Be a lot easier, I just don't understand what is the exhaust crossover, like how does it work?

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the stock cars came with a valve on one side of the car (passenger side for mine). it only opened when it was hot, as it had a bi-metallic strip coil, or thermostat, on it. since the exhaust was used to heat up the carb quickly, the hot exhaust was routed from one side of the intake manifold, under the carb, and to the other head's exhaust ports. once it was hot, the exhaust valve would open, allowing a true dual exhaust. so when it's cold, exhaust is actually only coming out of one tailpipe in a true dual exhaust setup. here's a pic:

Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

Default update and questions

first off thanks for the replies and the descriptions guys.

so today i decided to start and you guys were correct as soon as i lifted up the intake there was a good 1 inch piece of gasket missing from the upper portion. So anyhow this process is simple enough, but it has led me to ask 2 more questions.

first up there seems to be only 2 bolts holding the cover piece over the top of the motor... not sure what it's called, but my question is; Does the cover used a gasket or is it just sealed with RTV?

2nd question; I'm having trouble with the PCV valve. Do i need to remove that cover thing to remove it ? The grommet that it sits in needs to be replaced as well, its all cracked and broken and whatnot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake manifold removed.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	219058  

Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that's the valley pan. gasket plus sealant is commonly used. if the pcv valve fell in, you might have to remove the valley pan to fish it out. here's a pic of a factory one and a smooth aftermarket one:

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks I took It apart today they actually call it a pushrods cover, I found that out when I asked for a valley pan gasket and the counter guy had no idea what I was talking a about...... These poncho motors really aren't too well known