Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bad Coil?

My car will not start, and I am a little stumped. The car will crank over, I have gas to the carb, But she wont kick over, not even cough any. I know I have power TO the coil, as I ran my fuel pump feed off the negative side of the coil. It's a switched power, and it was easy to get to.
However, when I crank the car over, I have no spark at all from #1 wire. The fuel pump is running, so power is flowing thru the coil, but no spark to the spark plug. Bad Coil? Do they just die instantly?
I have a new MSD Blaster 2 coil, that I never installed, but it came with one of those power tower top's, which means that I have to change the boot end on the wire to get the coil wire to work with the MSD. The coil I have is a Mallory. I would hate to cut the coil wire now if I don't need to.
Can I test the coil for power to the distributer any other way?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't power anything from the neg side of the coil, silly guy! You will render the coil sparkless.

Disconnect the pump from the coil and connect the pump power to a switched ignition circuit. You have points or what?

After moving the pump power, jump the batt to the coil + and crank to see if it'll spark and start.

George

Old 08-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CRAP !

Will Do. kinda embarrased,
I was also told there is a wire off the washer pump that is a switched power, But I have 4 wire's and they are all black, painted over I think, Anyone know which wire I should tap.
I thought I was so smart too, the pump came on when the key was turned, Duh.

Last edited by Rugratman; 08-26-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Er, Fired right up

However, I ran the power from the wiper motor. Switched power, and the fuel pump works as it should.
BUT.... When I turn the key on, The wipers will raise about 3 inches and then stop. When I turn the car off the wipers will drop about a 1/2 inch. Still way higher then they should be in their parked position.
Is this not grounded right?
The relay is set up this way....
Wire # 30 is not used, supposed to go to the battery? Will it not alway's be hot? Taped off.
Wire # 87 is to the power feed to the fuel pump, I put a inline fuse on it, which then goes thru a switch under the dash. The fuse is after the switch... backwards?
Wire # 85 is grounded to the firewall.
Wire # 86 is to the wiper motor power feed, I spliced the wire and connected both wires together with a push on connector and it is on the slide post on the wiper motor.
The pump itself is grounded to the frame under the car. The factory wire off the pump.
The switch had a 3 wire set up and one was for ground, which I grounded to the emergency brake metal, the radio was grounded there also.
Everything is shrink wrapped and looks like someone other then me did the work....
Is Wire # 30 the problem?
Why do the wipers move?
Many Thanks to anyone who can understand this......

Old 08-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The numbers 85,86,87,87a,and 30 are circuit markings on the Bosch relay which is apparently being used in your pump circuit.

85 and 86 are wired correctly. You need to add a battery connection to the 30 circuit. 87 is ok.

When the wiper circuit gets power, circuit 86 goes live, pulling in the relay. When the relay pulls in, circuit 30 (battery) gets connected to the pump (circuit 87). There is also a circuit 87a on that relay; don't use that one.

The only other issue is I'll need to check to see if the wiper circuit is live during starting; if not, you won't get power to the pump until the engine starts and you release the key, but without the pump running, it may not start......

In that case, instead of the wiper circuit, connect 86 to the coil (+) terminal, it gets power during both start and run.

Update: my '67 diagram shows the wiper circuit is fed from the Accessory circuit, which is NOT live during starting. You will need to change the connection of the 86 circuit as mentioned above.

George

Last edited by george kujanski; 08-28-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing: the coil + terminal, (if the original resistor wire is still being used) will have a lower voltage than battery while the engine is running, but it still should be good enuf to keep the pump relay held on.

George