WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> whereas the Holden Monaro offered to Pontiac comes with 245KW's and is basically clean skinned the HSV GTO and GTS offering come with 285/300KW and are significantly seperated from the standard offering. You can check them out at www.hsv.com.au. Ive been following the Monaro story in the states since it all started and I guess that I'd be fairly unhappy with a yank car trying to fulfill one of our motoring legends boots if the shoe was on the other foot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. I took a look at what's available for the GTO and GTS in AU, and all those performance and appearance options, that's awesome. I really hope those options will make it over here for next year. I sure do like the Holden front end better than the Pontiac vagina, too.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac vagina, wow, that's a new one.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Goathead:
_my point is it wasn't the styling it was the performance_

Let's ay your statement is correct. Let's even go as far as to say that this is the best performing Pontiac Muscle car ever, now, answer me this,why is it a flop?

Flop,Flop?? certainly a success in Oz, Poms love it, Can't keep the kiwis away, Big hit in the middle East, Its just you guys.... Maybe you should stop trying to put labels on it and take it for what it is. One of the best value performance cars in the world today. Does it live upto the GTO name, that and more. Should have stuck with its original name though rather than to compete with peoples (faded) memories. Truth is there was never a GTO that could compare with this Monaro.

If it's not the lack of stand alone performance, and the car's styling does not matter, then why are people staying away from this car?

Must be some kind of conspiricy.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-01-2004, 08:15 AM

Is the '04 GTO a capable performer? Of course. Room for more performance? Always. Any serious car guy will always dream of more. Is it a good value versus other competitors in the market place? Certainly. Is it a satisfying purchase? Many will appreciate it's many outstanding qualities, and will be happy owners. IMHO, all these are givens.

However, one of the key reasons the GTO marque is held in such regard is that the car and it's marketing ignited the country's excitement for the muscle car segment and, generated successful sales, and spurred on an explosion of other makes. Througout it's run, GTOs were always one of the leaders of the pack.

Fast forward to today, and the "04 GTO has yet to re-create that excitement, regardless of it's given qualities. That is a disappointment for me since I am so proud of the GTO name. I hope that Pontiac can turn it around. Personally, I too point to it's bland looks that hasn't gotten it noticed in todays marketplace. Too bad since it is so capable.
2011 Ford Fusion
Old 07-01-2004, 04:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:
Pontiac vagina, wow, that's a new one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I absolutely hate pontiac's styling (or lack of it). The Monaro's front end looks 10 times better than the pontiac front end, and why they put 17 inch wheels on the car I'll never understand. Makes the car's butt look way too tall from the side.

Designing the look of a car by committee ensures a bland, unappealing car that offends few and exites no one. On the vagina thing, I think badly designed grilles either look like teeth or vaginas. Pontiac's vagina has a strip shaved down the middle, but it still reminds me of a fat chick's vagina.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

but it still reminds me of a fat chick's vagina.

Have to take your word on that one, luckily I have never had to look at a fat chicks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 07-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Goathead's absolutely right!!!

This car is a real performer. This car is perceived by the press as a superior automobile that offers as much if not more than any performance car in its price range. I've not read a single negative review on it yet. Great drivetrain, good to excellent interior appointments, above average handling. What else is left to bottle up sales if not styling?

I think that buyers are staying away in droves in anticipation of the promised "improvements" that will be forthcoming this fall.

Again I suggest that Pontiac offer a choice of the bland "import jellybean" look and an optional package that would give the car a performance personality. If that personality is oldfashioned and out of date, then we'll find out real quickly if styling does or doesn't sell cars.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:36 PM

Except for the nose and the small wheels, I like the styling just fine. It's the colors I don't like. I understand they're coming out with two new, darker colors. If I could get a dark blue '04 I'd get it - the engine figures mean nothing since I plan on hotrodding it anyway.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:39 PM

Alright, when anyone thinks of a GTO, they think of a true muscle car. Everyone seems to have loved the entire image of the 60's and 70's GTOs, but times have changed and so should the "muscle car". We all know that to have an "original GTO" is what we have all dreamed of at one point or another, and for those of us luckly enough to have one now, we feel damn good about it. I think that Pontiac should have made a true 00's version of a muscle and called it GTO. Remember a few years ago the TV ads for the Trans Am? A menecing picture of a WS6 and at on the street with a phrase along the lines of "the muscle car returns". That is what we need with a mondern GTO. Simply put- a badass car the has the performance, styling, touring, racing, and "god-damn" effect all wrapped into one. GM is HUGE and has the capability to do it right. Hell, if Dodge can make a limited run viper, or any other of there specialty cars (and most of us agree that the viper is a kick ass car-period-) why can't GM? I should have been a car designer, we all should of! So the question is(like so many other things in life) just who the hell is actuallt in charge of making the current GTO what it is? And better yet- how can we get that person (or persons) to cheng it into what it should be? Let me ask you this- has anyone even cared about what performace is available form the 05 Mustang? The first thing everyone sees is how the car looks- and most everyone says that...Yeah, Ford got it right! Performace will follow there is no dought, but when you capture an entire audience with just a sweet look, sales will follow, performance will follow, and soon(mark my words) you will have a true 00' Mustang Boss, Shelly, or whatever. And those cars will be what a GTO should be- PONTIAC-PLEASE GET IT RIGHT!!!!!!! If not, may I show to to the Oldsmobile showroom?????
Old 08-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

^ your freaking out a bit there, besides the GTO, I think that Pontiac is doing well. The sunfire is selling and so is the 2004 Grand Prix, around here anyway, the new GP is definately an eye catching car and it's selling very well around here.

Pontiac wont follow Oldsmobile only because the first year of the come back of the GTO is not doing well, I think the 05 sells are gonna sell a lot more, Pontiac should set the production at 10-15 000 instead of 18K, and dont forget that the 04 GTO is only sold in the USA and Australia, it is not up here in Canada.

So I think you need to sit back and drink a beer.