WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If they had lost the rear spoiler, americanized the head and taillamps, and put the SAP grilles in it they wouldn't have lost as many fans. I hated the 04', and it's not that the 05/6' is so much better. But it goes to show how the little things add up quickly. The 06' IMHO took a step back with the tail light styling. The 18" wheels and SAP don't get the car any closer to it's roots either. They just compound the identity crisis the car already had. But, the cars are the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgtr
GTO says COKE bottle shape. Curvy like a well built woman. NOT square angular and chunky like some heiffer at 2 am waiting for her next victim at the local watering hole!!!
May I direct your attention to the 64 and 65 GTO?
2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 04 - 06 GTO is a great car, built very well, but it does not appeal visually to most people, hence the slow sales.
If GM want to exceed their expectations they should take a hint from the Dodge Challenger and Ford mustang. If the `08 resembles the `69 GTO I will buy one
As far as pricy gas prices as noted in the privious post, the US will be introducing a prototype, converting coal to gas process this fall, you will be seeing and hearing about it in the news then, although it will take several years to get a nationwide system up and running well
Old 04-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen smith
If the `08 resembles the `69 GTO I will buy one
Why make it look like a '69?

That's the problem with going retro - you pander to part of the vintage owners and alienate the others.

JUST SAY NO TO RETRO's!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people really love the looks of the modern look, but I believe GM will go where the appeal is universal, hence the `69. Just my guess and only makes since that the 69 would be the theme. The Dodge buyers are salivating over the future Challenger, and if where another modern looking "Charger", interest would be luke warm at best. I know several Dodge customers who will not buy the new Charger because its ugly and has 4 doors.
I know it will be hard to please everybody, and I have a `70 GTO & would not object to a `70 theme, but my gut tells me its going to be the `69
Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It isn't going to look like a 69....think 67....
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO
It isn't going to look like a 69....think 67....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A 67 would be good too... I can`t wait to be able to order
MR GTO, will Pontiac build a convertible version too?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeto Tiger
what do you think about this GTO Concept: http://www.pfyc.com/gto/newgto.jpg

wheels are dead on with this one

My Build Thread

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35787
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ
Why make it look like a '69?

That's the problem with going retro - you pander to part of the vintage owners and alienate the others.

JUST SAY NO TO RETRO's!

you keep saying this, but look at the Mustang...they are having no problems selling theirs
Old 05-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

in all surveys the 67 is the most popular so there's your retro year and go from there and start all over again 8 9 0 1 2 skip 3 yuck
Old 05-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc0monkey
you keep saying this, but look at the Mustang...they are having no problems selling theirs
Tell that to the Ford dealer in a nearby town of 5,000 that has had 7 of them sitting on his lot for too long...

But you missed the point - what do they make the next Mustang look like?

A '74?

A '78?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Tell that to the Ford dealer in a nearby town of 5,000 that has had 7 of them sitting on his lot for too long...

A '74?

A '78?

ill be surprized if they are GTs; bet they are not convertibles.

Why worry about the next gen already? this one just came out. let ford worry about that. i want a good product now.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

A '74?

A '78?

Why worry about the next gen already? this one just came out. let ford worry about that. i want a good product now.

who says they have to model their next gen off a different year...why can't they just modify their current/68 styling with the times. i think that the new gto doesn't have to look like a old gto just should have a little more in common with the styling.

i just picked up a new BMW X3, its not a M3 but shares a lot of the same style and looks. the fenders give a nice widebody look and such...

my point is the x3 is a truck and bmw still made it look like a aggressive BMW, as i would like the new GTO to show more of the "GTO" and pontiac in the body styling not adding a spoiler and grills on a dated design.

Last edited by disc0monkey; 05-04-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

who says they have to model their next gen off a different year...why can't they just modify their current/68 styling with the times. i think that the new gto doesn't have to look like a old gto just should have a little more in common with the styling.

i just picked up a new BMW X3, its not a M3 but shares a lot of the same style and looks. the fenders give a nice widebody look and such...

my point is the x3 is a truck and bmw still made it look like a aggressive BMW, as i would like the new GTO to show more of the "GTO" and pontiac in the body styling not adding a spoiler and grills on a dated design.
Responding to the highlighted quotes.

The new GTO, is a much better product (performance wise) than the new Mustang is - Handling, Engine, Interior are all much better than the Mustang, right???

I'm glad that you say that the new GTO doesn't have to look like an old GTO!!!

Styling is always subjective - some will like or dislike it no matter what style you go with, but the new GTO recognizes it's heritage with the traditional split grille - immediately identifies it as a Pontiac. People say it looks too much like a Grand Prix - only backs up the fact that it looks like a Pontiac.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the new mustang is better than the gto in handling if memory serves me correct. but yes the engine/tranny is better than ford and a extra gear

i meant that it doesnt have to be almost like a carbon copy of the old one, but it needs more similarities in the lines of the car.

Champ i guess your right saying that the split grills make it look like a pontiac by making the car look like a grand prix. i can say i just dont like the styling of anything pontiac put out in the last 20 years except the late trans am. i think i was defining pontiac by the 4th gen T/A, but they seemed to have turned in a very different direction, meaning i just don't like pontiac anymore. maybe we should sent the designers of that car over to the holden guys. perhaps i just don't like Pontiac if i dont like the grand prix styling. idk i guess im going to have to do some thinking. i dont think i can call myself a pontiac enthusiast, especially b/c i just got a new car and didn't even think about getting a pontiac...and i was aiming to get a coupe or sedan #1 the '06 330i(expensive but heavenly), #2 '06 legacy GT(unsatifactory build quality but will run 12.5X ET with $1200 mods), with the GTO not even in the picture. sorry about rambling on...just dunno ne more

Last edited by disc0monkey; 05-04-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:02 AM

supposedly the new GTO will be built on the same platform as the new camaro

My Build Thread

http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35787
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After much thought ...I ve finally come to a conclusion about why the Chrysler camp made the new charger with 4 doors...so they have spares when they get their doors blown off by a new GTO...ROFLMFAO....MOPAR letters mean...... Move Over Pontiac Approaching Rapidly... ...Yeah it s got a Hemi...So what??

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-04-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
the new mustang is better than the gto in handling if memory serves me correct. but yes the engine/tranny is better than ford and a extra gear
The new Mustang does not handle better than the new GTO, and it rides like a tank in comparision. Of course, that's to be expected with the antiquated suspension on the Mustang vs. the IRS on the GTO.

Go drive one - you will be impressed!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Mustang has tested better in handling in some reviews. Some, we'll see what happens for 09 in all departments...