1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the '78-81 Lemans and Grand Am the same car basically? I'm wondering in terms of parts interchange (suspension parts, body parts etc.)

Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the '78-81 Lemans and Grand Am the same car basically? I'm wondering in terms of parts interchange (suspension parts, body parts etc.)

Old 12-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

More alike than different.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any more specific info i.e. what parts might be different or the same?

Old 12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Chief

Other than the nose assembly, thier bodies are the same (doors, quarters, fenders, glass, deck lid, rear bumper.)The Lemans nose is flatter and uses different grills, turn lenses and head light bezels. I've seen Grand Lemans with the same tailights as the 78 Grand Am, but not sure if they were all the same or what years.
Most of the interior will interchange, but will differ in design for the door panels. Heavier suspension on the Grand Am. What else? Anyone?

Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM

I have my 78 Grand Am taken apart doing a restification (I think that's the word). When I ordered the front end pieces from Dana-Spicer, some parts were the same as LeMans/Grand LeMans. However, the factory front sway bar in the GA is heavier. It uses the same bushings as the Trans Am, 1.25 inches. And there is a rear sway bar on the GA. Not sure about the others. One other thing is the steering box. The GA has the bigger box like the Trans Am. In fact, a little while ago there was a steering box with the same part number as mine listed on E-bay as a 1978 Trans Am WS6 performance suspension. I don't know for sure--I'm not that familiar.

Old 12-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, that is exactly the info I was looking for, so thank you. Now, is there any reason why the beefier Grand Am pieces (suspension, steering etc) can't simply be bolted on to a Lemans of the same year? For example, if I saw shocks listed for a '78 Grand Am, could I install them on mt '78 Grand Lemans?

If you guys have pics of your Grand Ams, I'd love to see them. Now that I have one of these later G-bodies, I'd like to see what other people have done with theirs.

Old 12-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Senior Chief

In 1980, Grand Am's were 1.5" lower in front and 1" lower in the rear, than a standard LeMans. '80 GA's also used blacked out tail lamps.