Old 08-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 GP - Bumper fitment

I've got a bumper back from re-chroming and with the help of a buddy, tried to install it on my 62 GP this past weekend. The old bumper was a replacement that I remember having to manhandle some when I put it on years ago, but I got it to fit pretty well. This new re-chromed bumper is giving me fits though.

Just curious if any of you out there in Pontiac land might have some tip for gently persuading this new one into place? It seems to be very tight up on the nose of the car, but plenty of room (approx. 1") at each end to be moved back on each end. Looks like I have all the forward movement maxed out too. I didn't appear to have this problem with the old bumper. Had about a 1/4 reveal ran all the way across nicely on both sides.

I'm still in the adjustment phase, so maybe I'm overlooking something now. Just hope to hear any tips/suggestions others with some experience, may have to say.

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went thru issues with mine on my 63. Shop had straightened it a tad but it had 1/2" twist from left bottom corner to right and too tight at fenders. Returned it rechromer (keystone) and they made it right. I fought that thing for hours and hours before deciding to get some measurements with it off.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho421 View Post
I went thru issues with mine on my 63. Shop had straightened it a tad but it had 1/2" twist from left bottom corner to right and too tight at fenders. Returned it rechromer (keystone) and they made it right. I fought that thing for hours and hours before deciding to get some measurements with it off.

I wish I had the luxury of taking it back to get tweaked, but unfortunately, it's about a 6 hour drive each way. I'm thinking perhaps some gentle persuasion with a broomstick or 2x4 or both. We got cut off from going any further yesterday due to a rainstorm.

I think what I did last time on the previous bumper was to get one side as close as possible, then locked it down and worked on the other side, then tightening down and going back and forth. There is some adjustment left in the side brackets so perhaps tightening them down might push the center out a little more. I'm also thinking about picking up some ratcheting nylon straps to help get it right.