Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NOS Garbage!

I keep a spare or two of everything like most of us do around here, but it sux when you find out that the spares are rejects.

Rear passenger side wheel cylinder on my 4dr was leaking like a sieve... completely soaked the shoes. So I pulled it all apart and dug out a new set of shoes,... which I knew I had and a back-up wheel cylinder,... which I hoped I had.

Put it all back together and tightened the brake line and the brake line was loose even though the nut was tight and screwed in as far as it would go. Crap! pulled it back off and found that the insert was missing in the brake line hole that's supposed to be in there to match up with the flared end of the brake line.

So I dug deeper in my box of spare wheel cylinders and got another one out... sure enough... same problem, no insert in the hole... and that was my last spare '63 Tempest RR wheel cyl. All the spares for the other wheels had inserts but not the RR!?

Now I'm wondering if there was some variation that didn't get the inserts or if I just hit the anti-jackpot twice and got two eBay rejects. I got them years ago so I have no idea who or where they came from but I know they were not cheap.

Luckily I have rebuild kits but the original cyl was nasty after sitting for 25years so I honed it and put a kit in it and now am back on the road.

Is there any way or anybody who can insert an insert in these duds??

Also is there any way to get the brake fluid off the old shoes or are they just cores now.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use laqaure thinner and spay them down with my paint gun.
It will evaporate the brake fluid from the shoe material.
Blow them off with air and let them dry for awhile
before you install them. Should be fine worked on mine.

GT.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that's good news they are like new, thanks!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

NOS, you always have to wonder what the "S" will stand for...

Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aside from the occasional surprise, I think we are coming to the end of the line for a lot of the Tempest NOS. The stuff coming up now look like the residue in the "rejects and returns" bin. Had a bad experience with a NOS water pump the other day.

Case in point:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1963-Pon...f17e43&vxp=mtr

Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are not kidding!!!! Lots of NOS stuff is still prefectly fine to use BUT,,, Anything that has rubber in it like that brake hose, just is not worth the possability of failure. Especially when aftermarket replacements that are new are available.

POCI.org