Old 08-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Transmission crossmember 4 speed question

Which way does it go? I tried it several ways and it seems to fit but need to do it the right way. Car is 1967 GTO with 400 335 HP engine.

There is a 1/2" hole that I assume is to let water drain? Only one hole on the one side (no other hole on its respective side which makes it easy for someone to give me the correct positioning). I would further assume this drain hole would be at the bottom of the trough which locates it on the driver side unless I have it turned the wrong way.

The crossmember worked upside down too. In other words, the transmission mount on the tranny still lines up with the mounting holes on the center of the crossmember.

This is a factory 4 speed car and factory crossmember.

With that 'assumed drain hole' at the bottom of the trough, the mounting holes for the clam shell retainers line up with the furthest forward holes in the frame. Is that correct? Like a dummy, I should have taken pictures before dismantling.

There are many holes in the frame and not al the same distance apart. Probably for various transmission applications.

If anyone knows for certain how this should be installed, please respond. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2020, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the crossmember sitting in the frame where it could hold water, it's up side down. It should go in with the open side of the channel down, and there is a hole in the top that goes on the right side that holds the hook for the park brake cable. If i remember correctly, some of the cross members have a oblong hole in the driver side front for the park brake actuator cable to pass through. You would use which ever hole set in the frame to fit your application as far as front to rear. Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed. You will have a hole in it for the park brake cable.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, exactly the info I needed. I got it in correct now.

One more question. From the factory, did the bolts that install the rubber vibration pads (with those special clam shells at each end of the frame) go in from the top with the nuts and washers facing down or were the nuts installed at the top where they can't be seen? That would be the more streamline installation but want to do it exactly like the factory did back in the day (for a concours restoration).

Old 08-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bolts go upward with nuts in the frame rails

Old 08-18-2020, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDirtRoad View Post
Bolts go upward with nuts in the frame rails
I forgot you've done this several times! Mind if I pick your brain? Are the bolt heads bare (against the frame) or are there any washers involved? Inline tube sells the bolt kit with fat washers (they say are just like factory but Inline tube says a lot of things in their ads)! Most repro kits just have lock washers without that fat washer. Which way do you install?

One more question I can't find a definitive answer to. On the motor mount brackets (not the motor mounts themselves but the brackets that are attached to the front frame crossmember with three bolts/nuts, is the taller bracket for the driver's side?

Old 08-25-2020, 11:35 AM

Do you have the factory shop manual? I have the one for my 66 and the diagrams are pretty good at identifying the correct bolt, washer and direction. It even shows when one of those spring loaded bent washers are used, cotter pin vs. the round version etc. Shows the correct side for the valve cover to have oil filler cap. A common mistake to have backwards.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuel67 View Post
Do you have the factory shop manual? I have the one for my 66 and the diagrams are pretty good at identifying the correct bolt, washer and direction. It even shows when one of those spring loaded bent washers are used, cotter pin vs. the round version etc. Shows the correct side for the valve cover to have oil filler cap. A common mistake to have backwards.
I don't, but would like to find one. I placed a want ad here at PY. Thanks for responding.