Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Random painting questions

I've got all my individual panels painted and just have the body left to do. It's on the frame with wheels/tires installed.

I have several questions about the best setup to be able to paint the body as well as the "proper" way to paint the roof. I currently have the car on wheel dollys and plan to remove them (and rear wheels) and put the car on axle stands prior to paint, to get it a bit lower.

First: The painting video's I have seen recommended "walking the car" and painting the roof in complete passes, but this is very difficult to do standing from one location on a stool...the only way I have been able to spray (primer) in complete passes on the roof is by standing on a 3' long work stand and walking back and forth on it, and I have to be very careful not to walk off the end. On some Youtube video's I watched recently, the painters just used a stepstool and painted (an an example) the rear half of the passenger side of the roof, then moved the stool up and did the front half of the passenger side, which results in lots of overlapped strokes on the middle of the roof. Is this a typical approach? What's the best way to paint the roof?

Second: if you lower the car to get better roof access, how do you get good paint coverage under the rockers? Seems I read somewhere about jacking up one end of the car a bit to help with this. Any advice?

Third: This is a complete paint job and I need to paint the quarter window openings right up to the inner edge, as well as the rockers where the door opening is. What's the best way to mask the interior to protect from overspray yet still allow you to swing the gun into these openings?

Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	body in booth.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	549753  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 09-16-2020, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You got a taller friend ....being 6’2” ..spraying a roof is no problem.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have to make a decision about the height of the car, it is MUCH easier to re-paint the rockers later on than it is to re-paint the roof!!

Old 09-17-2020, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or. like you referenced, put a jack under rear end and jack up to spray rockers. Lower back down when done.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
Or. like you referenced, put a jack under rear end and jack up to spray rockers. Lower back down when done.

I might do that. I had planned to mask from rockers to floor all around the car to cut down on dust but might have to skip that.

Thanks

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 09-17-2020, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wet the floors down with water....to help with dust

Old 09-18-2020, 08:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Walking the car is needed with metallics. Solid colors you can get away without it imho.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Wet the floors down with water....to help with dust

I've been doing that, with a sprayer & wand and it sure does help!!

Old 09-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
I've been doing that, with a sprayer & wand and it sure does help!!
Been using this stuff....you spray the floor with it...but it stays tacky...and doesn’t evaporate like water. Good stuff...and spray the walls with it too.Click image for larger version

Name:	AFDEDE7B-AEE5-42F8-B940-2CCBBBA84CC1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	549877