Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Looks sharp Mark. On the evaporative fan.....wish I had a commercial one. Sounds to me like you just make sure you dont have any bare metal at the time of use. Also, if the door to the garage is open and you have it sorta pointed out the door, you can still walk in front of it for a break. As long as the door to the garage isnt closed that arizona air will absorb whatever you throw out without a trace and likely none would touch the car.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Looking good Mark

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Never used one so I may not even have a problem, might work just fine with the dry air. Having second thoughts on cutting the firewall now. If I don't and don't set the engine back it would leave me open to a big blower some day down the road. If the engine is setting under the cowl it limits my possibilities. Also shortens my build time a lot. Gotta ponder that for a while but leaning heavy towards a near stock location. Mark L

Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Robert, how's your '59 coming along. Got it on the road yet. I keep looking at your videos of the engine etc, waiting for new material, heh. Mark l

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Hell no, they moved me up to full time at work and I'm still in school. I haven't touched the '59 in forever. It sucks but it will get done eventually

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark! My partner says if drag race and straight axle MOUNT rack and pinion SECURE to FRAME. He did a 30's drag car recently for a guy who was having high speed handling problems with rack/pinion mounted on the axle. Email me and I'll give you Rays number. He'll talk you thru the details and why rack on axle would be as bad as drag-link at high speed. Says mounted the way he did it his customer reports NO wander straight runs and NO evil handling!

BTW you might be interested in my reverse cooling thread in the heating and cooling section I just posted.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shot ya a PM Bruce. Thank you very much. Look forward to talking to him. Mark L

Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Headers arrived to day.

They look great. I also installed the slots and slicks in their correct location with the Cat sitting level. The front should drop a little when everyting is back in the car so the back will come down a little also.

I have splayed 4 bolt center caps coming. As soon as they arrive I'll take all the parts I have so far down to Paul Carter down in Tucson and we can go farther on the 406 build. I hav eto take the midplate that I'm using for an adaptor down to trial fit it on the block. I've been using a '58 block to do all the mock ups and I want to be absolutely positive there are not differences. Once I check that and all is good, I can do a mockup assembly motor with the block, plates, trans and the headers to see how every thing orients. Then I can get a pic of that. Trying to find the right steering box to fab in. I stopped using the rack and pinion because it would be the only thing you see down there and want to see the beam axle. I'm going with a cross steer now. Mark L

Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Suspended

Everything looks great Mark.....especially those headers!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good, indeed. Now that I have seen the front frame "done", I would strongly recommend mounting the engine with a steel midplate and an aluminum or steel front plate. Steel front would be best. If you sandwich the plates between block and bellhousing and block and timing cover, you will greatly reduce chassis flex while not turning the block into a stressed member.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

This is one VERY cool build! I look forward to watching the progress. Keep up the good fight and you will definitely have a ride to be proud of!

PHILLYGOAT

1.41 60ft 6.45@104.97mph 10.25@127.12mph(Pontiac Heaven)
More Details on GOAT http://www.pontiaczone.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=379
GTO Burnout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZqdcH0Ltc4
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. The encouragement really helps. Keeps me going between parts deliveries. Got the turbo today. More on that tomorrow. Mark L

Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Lookin' good there Mark.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
Can't wait to see it. Your car is going to resemble one of my cartoons I use on my Pontiac Heaven Shirts.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Boost Engineer

I would suggest that you put an FLEX EXPANSION JOINT in the cross-over pipe as I am afraid that you will over time crack pipes otherwise.

70Bird put a nice FLEX EXPANSION JOINT on his single turbo set-up.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom , I have run that header for a long long time with no cracking at all.

It never hurts to have one but its really not needed if you mount your turbo properly.

same set of headers in thin mild steel never cracked either.

Those ARE 2MM thick Stainless!

BTW those are the exact same headers I ran when I won Pontiac day at Englishtown last year.

Only 6 sets of those headers left guys.

$685.00 per set +shipping for the full set like those
I also have sets of Just headers with V band flanges that end at the front of the block area for less $$.
They are made to fit 67 thru 69 firebird and require some radiator support and inner fender support modifications.

I ran 9.70's at 145 on those headers and I am currently getting 17 MPG on pump gas with the car.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do however run my car fairly fat keeping the EGT's lower than some guys like to run thier set ups.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Tom , I have run that header for a long long time with no cracking at all.

It never hurts to have one but its really not needed if you mount your turbo properly.

same set of headers in thin mild steel never cracked either.

Those ARE 2MM thick Stainless!

BTW those are the exact same headers I ran when I won Pontiac day at Englishtown last year.

Only 6 sets of those headers left guys.

$685.00 per set +shipping for the full set like those
I also have sets of Just headers with V band flanges that end at the front of the block area for less $$.
They are made to fit 67 thru 69 firebird and require some radiator support and inner fender support modifications.

I ran 9.70's at 145 on those headers and I am currently getting 17 MPG on pump gas with the car.

I may be over-concerned with the average street guy. The engines I test typically will have exhaust temps in the 1030 C range. That is 1900 degrees F and I will crack exhaust parts often under loads (like an off-shore boat would see): 30-40 minutes at high load/ rpm.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

turbo69bird, any round port headers made up?
(for twin turbos)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Boost Engineer

You would think, John, that he might be able to build a pair of proper Turbo manifolds for a Round Port Dragster Chassis! (:>)

Tom Vaught

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of these days, I'll get it going.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates