Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick wasn’t your build more of a road course type build rather than 1/4 mile?

Old 05-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They aren’t talking 238/238 with a SOLID roller are they? Is that a Hyd roller. First post said solid roller.

238/238 in a solid roller by the time the lash was factored in would be a small cam.

Last edited by Jay S; 05-30-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Edit
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Nick wasn’t your build more of a road course type build rather than 1/4 mile?
Yeah, I kind of want the best of both worlds. Leaning on road coursing as far as cooling, breaking and suspension set up. But want as much power as possible yet still be able to keep it cool in Miami heat traffic.

Once the set up can reliably perform locally I plan to start participating in the Power Tour and Drag week as well as other long performance car drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
They aren’t talking 238/238 with a SOLID roller are they? Is that a Hyd roller. First post said solid roller.

238/238 in a solid roller by the time the lash was factored in would be a small cam.

No., I was initially wanting a solid however , Since I plan to do a lot of street driving I changed my mind in favor of a Hyd Roller.

NICK

Last edited by AIR RAM; 05-30-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

I have a custom Comp Cams HR camshaft that I purchased several years ago from a forum member. I am almost leaning on running this cam on my build... Not sure what to expect with it.

These are the specs of the cam I have... not sure if I should sell it or run it... looking for opinions... I had to peace the specs together based on the comp grind numbers and info the seller provided to me...

Comp cam hydraulic roller.
Part# is 51-000-9 the grind# p 3315/3112

Valve lift Intake / Exhaust with 1.5: .510
Duration: I 281 /E 290
Lobe sep: 110

Valve timing @ .050

Intake Opens: 5 btdc Closes: 45 abdc
Exhaust Opens: 44 bbdc Closes: 4 atdc.

Lobe lift
Intake: .3400
Exhaust: .3400

Run it or sell it?

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 06-15-2020, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do know that the larger cid motors like more LSA and subsequently so do turbo motors so I would ditch what you have in favor of a more turbo oriented cam. I chose to go with a custom Bullet grind from Herb at Luhn Performance. It has an LS firing order and 116 LSA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_155709123 (1).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	542508  

1971 Trans Am Lucy Blue, 11.56 @ 115
1966 LeMans. 462, SD prepped Kaufman D ports. 11.90 @ 112
1976 Trans Am twin turbo 462, SD Edelbrock heads 8.50@159
2009 G8 GT
Old 06-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikW View Post
I do know that the larger cid motors like more LSA and subsequently so do turbo motors so I would ditch what you have in favor of a more turbo oriented cam. I chose to go with a custom Bullet grind from Herb at Luhn Performance. It has an LS firing order and 116 LSA
Thanks for your input... I was already leaning that way. And is why I really never brought up this camshaft in previous post... I was just hoping to hear someone say... “I ran a cam like that and it did great” ... but I already had a feeling it was not a good cam for this setup.

I’ll be going with a custom cam... you brought up another great name to consider going to for cam recommendation.

I guess it’s time to put this roller up for sale as I doubt I’ll ever run it... lol

Old 06-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO, Call Uncle Tony @ BES and get him to spec you out a cam or stay with Bullet. I prefer to stay in my lane and let the professionals handle it. lol

Good Luck!!!

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird View Post
IMO, Call Uncle Tony @ BES and get him to spec you out a cam or stay with Bullet. I prefer to stay in my lane and let the professionals handle it. lol

Good Luck!!!
Agree, but will include Lee, the man really understands valve timing.

The Following User Says Thank You to David Holmberg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Senior Chief

I appreciate all the responses.

I ended up leaning on Herb at Luhn Performance for Cam and oil control tasks.

Herb is a great guy to deal with who is not only knowledgeable with building high HP (Boosted) Pontiac engines, he is more than willing to take the time to speak to you and answer questions. Something I have found not to be so with many of the other big names in the Pontiac community who give off a more of a feeling of being part pimps.

Luhn also has an many great products that are not even listed on their website. You would never know about these products unless you spoke with them or know someone who has mentioned them.

I also picked up their LPI "Pacemaker" TV-1S Oil Pump, Three Point Oiling Grooved Cam Bearings and plan to run their EFI Cam synch set up with a 58T tone ring.

For those who are not familiar with Luhn Performance, I suggest you at least get to know them and learn how they can help you with your performance Pontiac build.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 11-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Herb from Luhn recommended that I run the same cam you have.... so thats what I went with... I will be running approximately 8.75:1 and about 10-15lbs boost... may tease the idea of E85 and 20lbs one day...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 12-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

run the ra4 cam

Old 07-08-2021, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Not much overlap on this cam. Good for making power.

GT