Old 08-22-2020, 10:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default Who in Michigan can replace a rear main seal with success

I am reaching out to all GTO owners in Michigan hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I have owned this car for 15 years and the engine has been out 3 times, once to be rebuilt, the rope seal leaked, understandably, it was replaced with the 2 piece seal from BOP engineering, it leaked shortly after install, I had back surgery in 2017 from which I have recovered but my days of pulling motors and heavy things like that are over. I took the car down to a shop called Motor City muscle in the Detroit area in 2018 and he replaced the seal with the 1 piece seal from BOP engineering and left me with the impression that it wouldn't leak, and guess what, IT LEAKS!. I did ask him before I left what to do if it leaks and he did say bring it back. Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse as I plan on calling him Monday, but I can't see them pulling the motor and finding the problem without charging me again and I'm tired of throwing money at that seal only to have it leak again. It's been 2 years now and I will be blown away if they say we will fix it at no charge, so I'm asking if anyone knows a shop that has dealt with this issue and has successfully replaced this seal without it leaking. Sorry for the long post, 15 years of pent up frustration. Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell him to read this and watch the video linked to in post #11
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=843159

Old 08-26-2020, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also don't be overly quick to blame the rear main seal. Anything from valve cover, valley pan, to an oil pan gasket will look about the same. The tell tale signature of an actual seal leak is a starburst pattern of oil on the crank flange going on down the flexplate/flywheel. If there is no oil pattern on the crank right outside the seal, then you might look elsewhere for the problem. Oil coming from other sources will cover the back of the engine and be thrown around but almost never be on the crank.

Friend had a very pesky recurring leak and that one turned out to be bum threads on the drivers side gallery plug allowing oil to seep past.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys, turns out my oil pan bolts were extremely loose. Tightened them up but haven't tested it yet. Had to remove the starter to tighten 2 of the bolts, that's what led me to the latest post of getting the starter back in with the headers and the battery heat shield in place.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

Had great luck with the granite seal on my 428.. first time in 23 years I did not have a rear main leak. I also used the one piece oil pan seal.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
Had great luck with the granite seal on my 428..
Boy, that one should last a very, very long time!