Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default Legendary Mark V Tunnel Port RA-V by TARCO

Almost every RAV engine I have seen, has this decal on the left valve cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TARCO.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	543764

I think I have virtually every magazine article related to this engine, yet I have never found a single reference to this company. Does anyone have any insight as to who TARCO is and what role they played in developing the engine? I have heard one person speculate that it actually refers to TRACO (or TRA-CO) Racing Engines of Culver City, California. They were heavily involved in building engines for the SCCA Trans-Am series, which of course, the 303 tunnel port was specifically developed for. I could understand seeing that decal on a Trans Am race car if TRACO helped build the engine.

I have one of these decals, but I can't decide whether I should install it on my engine. I have a hard time believing that Pontiac would have installed it on a street RA-V had they actually made it to production. Why would they want to give credit to another company for their engine? Do we have anyone here who has unboxed a crated RAV engine that can state that Pontiac shipped engines with that decal installed?

I don't mean to disparage anyone who is displaying the decal - no doubt at this point we automatically expect to see it, and the whole concept of trying to create something that never happened is always a mixture of research and then making an educated guess.

I'd love to hear any stories from anyone who might be able to shed any light on the mystery of TARCO.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures