Old 07-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
I've been trying to sell my 72 for a few years now, and I get a lot of lookers but when it comes time to negotiate, the offers are dismal, specifically for a car with no rust (I mean none) and all original sheet metal. Sure the color hurts it, but up here in the North East, any Green Chevelle with rust would seem to bring more $$ than this GTO. It's a head scratcher to me. Are GTO's in general just not worth what Chevelle's are worth? I ask because I own a 66 Chevelle SS true 138 car with #'s matching and those things sell for 2X+ this GTO, even non SS Malibu's sell much better. I've seen/heard of guys buying triple green Chevelle Malibu's that needed new QTR's and trunk floors and pay $15-16k. If this car was a 72 Chevelle with a 350 SB and the sheet metal was in as good as shape as this GTO, I could get $5-6k more for it.

I'm not selling because I need the money, so I am holding firm. I'm just curious as to why the market seems to dump all over these GTO's (And even 442's etc for that matter).

You'd think in a strike year with very low prod numbers a real GTO with PHS docs to prove it would be worth more? I certainly wish Chevelle's had info on them akin to PHS, past 68 iirc who knows if it's an SS or not...

If I never sell this car, would it be sacrilegious to turn this car into a resto mod? (someday I want to do an IFS/IRS chassis resto mod with an LT engine etc) It's non #'s so I would not feel so bad, but do we think GTO 400's will ever be very desirable?

I look at Mopar's and see how silly the prices for say a 68 Charger are these days and I just can't believe GTO's don't fare better, they are really good looking muscle cars, some of the best looking GM ever made IMO.
A lot of people just don't like the looks of the 71-72 GTO. Simple as that. Desirability drives price.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 07-01-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the 72 GTO was mentioned in the thread. But, when it comes to Pontiacs.

The value is in the retained, maintained, and rarity with roundport engine and muncies. Good Pontiacs that are rare and desirable Still sell for good money.

My personal take is when it came to 70-73 F bodies Pontiac kept styling out of the equation.

70 GTO A body For three years with grilles changes? Pontiac risked the front end with GTO in 71-72. Whatever was happening at the time 71 Judge verts amazing cool looking car that nobody bought except 17...then 73 was a what compared to 73 F body.

Then, not sure if the 74 Was a give up? 74 F body didn’t exactly do the TA much imho. Even with a SD inside.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How to sell - dilemma

Opinion: I'm 50 years old and I agree that the metallic paint and ordinary drivetrain is hurting your resale and you want 20k.

How to sell it: Change color to a classic blue (Adriatic or Lucerne BLUE) that will pop with white interior and replace flashy wheels with stock Rally IIs...

But that will cost you more than the 25k it could bring from the handful of buyers that MIGHT be out there for a nice 72 GOAT.

Personally, I'd take the 19k and call it a day.

But I'm different, I actually think the 1973 GTOs are the best handling and will be seen like a 68 Charger in about 10-15 years......

"Well the girls out there knock me out, you know
Cruisin' around in my GTO"

Rock 'n' Roll High School
Ramones
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That car would look much better with a little more sidewall, white letters and some honeycombs. Ralley IIs would work too.. and cheaper.
You really could just do a few small things like that, not too expensive to make the car more visually appealing. I agree on the A/C. If you don't want to run it, just get a delete fan box to clean up the underhood area. I didn't even change my controls or dash. Few will notice. The Vintage Air can use that factory stuff if I'm remembering correctly so if I want to do that someday, it's all still there.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-01-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontower69 View Post
Opinion: I'm 50 years old and I agree that the metallic paint and ordinary drivetrain is hurting your resale and you want 20k.

How to sell it: Change color to a classic blue (Adriatic or Lucerne BLUE) that will pop with white interior and replace flashy wheels with stock Rally IIs...

But that will cost you more than the 25k it could bring from the handful of buyers that MIGHT be out there for a nice 72 GOAT.

Personally, I'd take the 19k and call it a day.

But I'm different, I actually think the 1973 GTOs are the best handling and will be seen like a 68 Charger in about 10-15 years......
I just don't feel $19k is enough, so if it comes down to it I just keep the car and someday pull it out and plan a resto. Were talking 5-10 years before I'd start on it, so could re-evaluate the desirability of the 71/72 body style at that time.

My Chevelle project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
Old 07-01-2020, 05:20 PM

I bought a 68 GTO near the Albany area last fall. Its a driver with a 69 400, 4 spd. Not as clean as your car. I only looked at a 72 Gto in summer of 18 in the Buffalo area but it was a little rough and had a 454 chevy that had a stroker kit in it. Not much in my area here in Rochester.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 4 speed - wow

Post some pics of that 68 4 speed for the group!

Ramones
Old 07-01-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O. View Post
I bought a 68 GTO near the Albany area last fall. Its a driver with a 69 400, 4 spd. Not as clean as your car. I only looked at a 72 Gto in summer of 18 in the Buffalo area but it was a little rough and had a 454 chevy that had a stroker kit in it. Not much in my area here in Rochester.
Nice, I love the 68/69 bodystyle.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O. View Post
Oh, and let me know if you're ever up for a trade!

Old 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...147298385.html

So, what is this car worth? The asking price?

Old 07-02-2020, 07:00 AM

I always thought the 72 was cheap compared to the 68,69 and 70 because it’s a low compression engine and the performance is nothing to write home about. I felt I got a great deal on my completely numbers matching 72 because it was a bench seat – manual everything 3 speed stick with an open rear.. Maybe having the base 400 saved it from being beat up? The busy front end is also not a selling feature.

My plan was to keep all the stock parts and modify it to my specifications with some of the money I saved on the purchase price.
When I was shopping around for a GTO, I learned that no matter how much you make it “better”, bone stock numbers matching originality equals higher selling price, and lower output years are looked down upon.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11th Indian View Post
I always thought the 72 was cheap compared to the 68,69 and 70 because it’s a low compression engine and the performance is nothing to write home about. I felt I got a great deal on my completely numbers matching 72 because it was a bench seat – manual everything 3 speed stick with an open rear.. Maybe having the base 400 saved it from being beat up? The busy front end is also not a selling feature.

My plan was to keep all the stock parts and modify it to my specifications with some of the money I saved on the purchase price.
When I was shopping around for a GTO, I learned that no matter how much you make it “better”, bone stock numbers matching originality equals higher selling price, and lower output years are looked down upon.
Have you started your restotation yet?

Old 07-02-2020, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since way back Ive always preferred the looks of the 68-70 nose. Back in the 80s a friend bought a 71 gto automatic. The nose just never really did it for me. Plus the low comp 400 but it went pretty well. I liked the 72 grill over the 71.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...147298385.html

So, what is this car worth? The asking price?
I would say it's worth close to asking price. It's all complete, well optioned, and looks to be in great shape. If the sheet metal is all original like he says, it's a $25-27k car. If it had been a 455HO or M22 car (or both) that would put it in the $30-35k+ territory. If I was in the market for a '72 GTO, this car would definitely be on the top of the list just from the ad (obviously it would warrant a more personal inspection).

Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 AM

Not for nothing but my bone stock 71 scoots along great with the junk gas that is available. I cant imagine 66hp makes that much difference?

QUOTE=11th Indian;6156935]I always thought the 72 was cheap compared to the 68,69 and 70 because it’s a low compression engine and the performance is nothing to write home about. I felt I got a great deal on my completely numbers matching 72 because it was a bench seat – manual everything 3 speed stick with an open rear.. Maybe having the base 400 saved it from being beat up? The busy front end is also not a selling feature.

When I was shopping around for a GTO, I learned that no matter how much you make it “better”, bone stock numbers matching originality equals higher selling price, and lower output years are looked down upon.[/QUOTE]

Lucerne 71 gto
Old 07-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Actually, looking at the numbers the hp from 70 to 71 dropped 50hp and 45 lbs tq. Seems like not much considering the quality of the fuel available today..

Lucerne 71 gto
Old 07-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I would say it's worth close to asking price. It's all complete, well optioned, and looks to be in great shape. If the sheet metal is all original like he says, it's a $25-27k car. If it had been a 455HO or M22 car (or both) that would put it in the $30-35k+ territory. If I was in the market for a '72 GTO, this car would definitely be on the top of the list just from the ad (obviously it would warrant a more personal inspection).
So if I fixed the AC and resprayed my car I could "get" $7500 more than th $19k ppl are saying I'd be lucky to get? I dunno...

Old 07-02-2020, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, if I was dead set on selling it just because it 'just doesn't do it for me'...I would've taken the $19K. Same deal from the buyer's perspective. If I really wanted it, I would've given you the $20K. More likely, I would have just met in the middle...or at least tried to.
You guys couldn't settle at $19.5K?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Sell it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Personally, if I was dead set on selling it just because it 'just doesn't do it for me'...I would've taken the $19K. Same deal from the buyer's perspective. If I really wanted it, I would've given you the $20K. More likely, I would have just met in the middle...or at least tried to.
I agree with Greg - you don't love the car (and you never will, even if you resto mod it, trust me) so why not sell over a measly 500 buck or so, seems like principle over practicality? Just my take.

I had a 65 GTO that was never quite right, and I just kept throwing good money after bad......total disaster over the years.

No point keeping a car that you don't LOVE. Once I sold the 65 it was pulling a lark prickly thorn out of my side. NIRVANA ensued.

Get a car you love and drive it.

My 1974 Lemans daily driver has 213k miles on the original block, 100k of them put on by me! Drives like a dream because its an honest car that was never messed with or neglected too much.

Ramones
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I guess if I was dead set on selling it, would have let it go by now. I'm just trying to rectify that a car that is the same, except with a working AC system, a tilt wheel and a non weird paint color is worth $7500 more. That just doesn't add up to me.

Even if I were to get $20k I'd feel that a gave the buyer a deal. I'd rather keep it knowing the condition of the original metal. I've done enough metal work to know just how valuable and hard to find that is.