Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 PM

I have 65 GTO with 2 speed console shifter. The shifter has alot of play, is there a rebuild kit for these or is there something i can tighten up to make this better?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:17 PM

I have 65 GTO with 2 speed console shifter. The shifter has alot of play, is there a rebuild kit for these or is there something i can tighten up to make this better?

Old 11-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How sloppy they were never as tight as a cable operated shifters that the three speeds used. About your only option is NOS(never seen one) find some replacement bushings for that bracket bolted to the underside of the floor. Hardware store or Hobby store

Brent
65 GTO conv
84 T-Type
my cars

my cars
Old 11-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi, that set-up used a rather complicated linkage with a "bellcrank" mounted underneath the floorpan. This bellcrank was set in 2 rubber bushings which are not a common size bushing, also a plastic inner sleeve was used as the pivot on both ends. The rod was set into a rubber bushing. all these pieces wear & crack up over time. Best to replace all that with new parts. Check the shop manual for an exploded view of all this. NOS parts are not available, I'd get an assortment of rubber bushings from Home Depot & start with that. Also an auto hardware catalog place might be a good place to start.

Peter Serio
Owner, Precision Pontiac

Old 11-10-2003, 03:00 PM

The part that is under the floor attached to the trans bushings were replaced, made new ones from teflon( used to work for the gov). That all seems good, seems more like the ****fer itself. it will slide with out even having to push the button on the top of the shifter.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have a 71 with a/t console shifter. it's probably way different in design but i had the same sloppy shifter problem i think. i tightened up some 3/8" hex bolts surrounding these slider busings and things.

i gues my piece of advice is just to make sure all are tight underneath. it helped mine a bunch yo.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What type of play? side to side? there are two bushings and washers at base of the shifter. or is it the detents? you should have to push the button to get out of park, then you can pull straight back to 2 push the button for 1. Going forward you can push to N push the Button for R and push the button for Park. There are no detents between N and 2. if you have no detents mabey the rod through the shifter is binding or the green spring at the bottom is broke or weak . hope that helps

Brent
65 GTO conv
84 T-Type
my cars

my cars
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 AM

If you can shift without the detent, either the spring in broken or the unit is gummed up with years of grease and grime. You don't want to accidently bump her into reverse going down the highway. I would start with a good cleaning and inspection; looking for worn or broken parts. If your not good with puzzles take a few pictures or have a shop manual handy prior to disassemble. You may just have a culmination of several small worn parts that equal allot of play.